Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Curio: Alt Cross-Stich

Alexa here from Pop Elegantiarum. Cross-stitch used to connote that awful, cloying gift you got from your grandma at Christmas. (My dad was forced to hang one from my grandma in his college apartment that read "Make new friends, keep the old, one is silver, the other is gold." Oy.) But the rise of feminist cross-stitch has revived the craft, and has led to a few interesting offshoots, including some film-related examples.


Here is my favorite, a John Waters-inspired piece from The Dirt Track. Perfect for those of you that are hating Christmas this year as as much as Divine did in Female Trouble.

And here is a ubiquitous Lebowski entry from spamberly. (I must admit I have this one in our bedroom.)


Finally, here is a not-so-alternative example for the holidays from you heart us. Is it just me, or is A Christmas Story now so overplayed that hanging this would be similar to hanging a "I'm Dreaming of A White Christmas" cross-stitch? The cycle continues: my little-one's grandma would hang this one up for Christmas in a heartbeat.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Is A Christmas Story really this huge deal in the States? I'd never heard of it until two days ago.

NATHANIEL R said...

short answer: absolutely

Unknown said...

I haven't seen "A Christmas Story," and I'm betting at this point I can only be disappointed.

Catherine said...

I just don't get it. It's cute enough, but still. Maybe it's just a huge cultural thing if you've been watching annually since you were a baby, and for everyone else who sees it for the first time as an adult, it's a big "...huh?".

Alexa said...

I think "A Christmas Story" is a big nostalgia thing for boomers over here. Totally reminds them of their childhoods.

NATHANIEL R said...

i don't really get it either but somewhere along the line i realized i was the odd man out. most people jsut lvoe it.