Monday, September 20, 2004

Emmy Done Good (?)

Every year I find some way to bitch about The Emmys which is somewhere less embarassing than the People's Choice and the Grammy's but only by so much.

Though I missed the ceremony due to the farewell concert of KIKI & HERB ("Kiki & Herb Will Die for You" at Carnegie Hall --which I wouldn't have missed for anything, even the Oscars ) I did of course check out their winners.

If they haven't made a complete turn-around and least the Television Academy shook it up a little.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
David Hyde Pierce as Niles Crane -Frasier
sigh. It's not that this performance isn't great. But did he really need to win again. And maybe I shouldn't comment on this but I wonder about these really enduring performances if they're still adding significant shadings to still be deserving of the win. Take Matt leBlanc on Friends for example. That is a performance that got better as it went along. But do actors regularly get better in a role as they move through years and years of similar jokes? I would argue not usually. I mean, no offense to Sean Hayes on Will & Grace (not meaning to single him out just drawing out a name to ask) --is his "Jack" role stagnant, or does he deserve the nominations every time out? And finally, who does John McGinley have to [insert sexual verb of your choice here] in order to get a nomination for his brilliant work on Scrubs? For that matter what does anyone on Scrubs have to do?

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR and SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA SERIES
Michael Imperioli as Christopher Moltisanti & Drea DeMatteo as Adriana LeCerva -The Sopranos
Three cheers for these wins. Emmy done right. These two actors --well, their amazing desperate duet made this season, imho.


OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Cynthia Nixon as Miranda Hobbes -Sex And The City
You know I'm thrilled that she finally made it. Even if this award is for the wrong season.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA SERIES
Allison Janney as C. J. Cregg -The West Wing...
But then... old habits die hard. zzzzzzzzzz. How is she even eligible for this lead award year after year from an ensemble show. And how the hell does she beat Edie Falco who remains a total genius of an actor on [i]The Sopranos[/i]

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS IN A COMEDY SERIES
Sarah Jessica Parker as Carrie Bradshaw -Sex And The CityIt's about freaking time. That's all I have to say here.


OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR IN A COMEDY SERIES
Kelsey Grammar as Frasier Crane -Frasier
zzzz and we're back to their old habits die hard and I'm already totally bored of discussing this.

next!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I mostly agree with you...The Emmy's are often crap.

Sean Hayes on Will & Grace...He's still funny...But there are better performances. Donald Faison and especially John C. McGinley...He's deserved this award three years running (The first two seasons, especially...). The show is the best comedy on TV-#2 last year, behind Arrested Development-and #1 the two prior years...

Frasier: Well, the show is one of the greats...And the show hasn't been this good since...Well...A long time. Both were deserving. I wouldn't have picked David (I'd go with McGinley). I don't know if I'd pick Kelsey. But he was certainly the most deserving of the actual nominees (Well, I've never seen Curb Your Enthusiasm-No HBO...I'm also behind on The Sopranos). But John Ritter should not have been there. It was merely decent work on a piece of crap show. Matt LeBlanc was the weakest of the three males this year...They've just been riding him since he peaked in the eight season. He shouldn't have been nominated last year, either (Jennifer Aniston certainly had no business being a nominee, this year or last).

Though I love Edie Falco's work on The Sopranos...Is she really a lead? The only lead on that show, as far as I can see, is James Gandolfini. Lorraine Bracco is DEFINITELY not a lead.

Well, I just wanted to comment on some of those things...Take care.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Do you like Jennifer Garner??? I think she is the one that Allison Janney woman has been stealing Emmys from. Damn her!
As for Sarah yay!!!!

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.