Thursday, December 20, 2007

One danger of loving musicals too much

...is that you end up with show tunes playing constantly in your head. There are worse things to be lodged in the brain than masterful Sondheim ditties but still...

More annoying yet is that I just have one line of the classic "A Little Priest" on repeat, not the whole song. For about 5 days now. I've tried listening to the entire Broadway cast recording (both). I've tried listening to other music: Amy Winehouse, Tom Waits, Madonna, Christmas compilations. I even tried Hairspray's catchiest showstoppers. And still all I hear and all I hum is one single line (in bold below)

Sweeney Todd:
For what's the sound of the world out there?

Mrs. Lovett:
What, Mr. Todd?
What, Mr. Todd?
What is that sound?

Todd:
Those crunching noises pervading the air!

Lovett:
Yes, Mr. Todd!
Yes, Mr. Todd!
Yes, all around!

Todd:
It's man devouring man, my dear!

Both:
And who are we to deny it in here?
I blame the TV commercial which lets that one line sing out louise
...oh please make the stop. I heart Sweeney Todd but this is too much. Your medical/mental recommendations are most appreciated. How can I escape?

My Sweeney Todd Review
*

8 comments:

E Dot said...

There's no mistake. I was singing,

"Wait, what's your rush what's your hurry. You gave me such a fright, I thought you was a ghost, half a minute. Won't you sit, sit ya down, sit. All I meant is that I haven't seen a customer for weeks. Did you come here for a pie, sir?"

So good. Did you see the revival? Amazing.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...try watching Moulin Rouge again?

RedSatinDoll

Anonymous said...

LOL NATHANIEL...
Poor Thing

Anonymous said...

The part of that song that's stuck in my head:

Mrs. Lovett:
It's priest!
Have a little priest!

Sweeney Todd:
Is it really good?

Lovett:
Sir, it's too good at least!
Then again they don't commit sins of the flesh...
So it's pretty fresh!

Todd:
Awful lot of fat.

Lovett:
Only where it sat!

Todd:
Haven't you got poet or something like that?

Lovett:
No, you see the trouble with poet is how do you know it's deceased!
Try the priest!

El Gigante said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
El Gigante said...

This is absolutely freakish Nate, that is definitely my favorite part of the entire score. The buildup is soooooo good. This movie will live or die for me based on how good "A Little Priest" plays on screen. Can't wait to see it tonight at midnight.

Anonymous said...

The movie ruled, and I am a Sondheim fanatic. A totally different beast than the stage production, but that's for the best.

Anyways, "Young Folks" by Peter Bjorn and John or "I'm Straight" by T.I. are the two catchiest songs I can think of at the second. Maybe "Paper Planes" by M.I.A.? I think you'd dig that.

Nathaniel T

Anonymous said...

Be incredibly grateful you are not my husband. The poor man is lighting the local pantomime and has the infernal children's song "There's a worm at the bottom of my garden and it's name is Wiggly Woo" going through his head.

By tomorrow he will have developed Sweeneyesque tendencies. At least Sondheim's good.

So glad the film seems good. Been more worried about this one than any other release this year as I so adore all the major players in it (Sondheim, Depp, Burton, Rickman) and was horribly aware of how awful a mix that could be. Opens here in January and I will overcome my dislike of screen blood in order to see it.