Monday, January 03, 2011

Quentin Tarantino's Top Ten

No, no not mine. Not Nathaniel's. my top ten list is coming. Patience. I was waiting for the new site to be available but it's still coming and going. It apparently fancies itself an online Brigadoon but on a much speedier rotation. But since we love it when people within the movie industry actually reveal their favorites, let's share Quentin Tarantino's.


QT's Top Ten of '10Links go to blogposts about those films.

  1. Toy Story 3
  2. The Social Network
  3. Animal Kingdom
  4. I Am Love
  5. Tangled
  6. True Grit
  7. The Town
  8. Greenberg
  9. Cyrus
  10. Enter the Void
He also likes (in descending order): Kick-Ass, Knight and Day, Get Him to the Greek, The Fighter, The King's Speech, The Kids Are All Right, How to Train Your Dragon, Robin Hood, Amer and Jack-Ass 3D.

It's an eclectic mix (toons, gleeful violence, melodrama, indie comedies, Hollywood hits) as one should expect from a filmmaker who is a total original despite also being one of the Great Appropriators of modern pop culture. How close will that top ten list above be to his Oscar ballot? I always wonder if AMPAS members actually put their ten favs on their ballots, or if they just vote for their favorites among those they think have a shot?

Hitfix notes that Sofia Coppola's Somewhere, which took the Venice prize that Tarantino juried, does not appear in his top 20. Having served on a few juries myself, I can assure you this isn't odd. You always have a very limited pool to vote on at festivals. Maybe Somewhere is his 21st favorite of the year, you know?

But what I REALLY want to know, and I'm sure you do too, is who goes on his director's ballot? Looking at the list above can we guess it's something like
  • Lee Unkrich (or does he share the reservations about animation directors competing with live action directors that many voters must feel given that no animation director has ever been nominated?)
  • David Fincher
  • The Coen Bros or Ben Affleck?
  • Luca Guadagnino (I Am Love) or David Michôd (Animal Kingdom) for overseas breakthroughs?
Can I buy a movie ticket to see that ballot?


18 comments:

James T said...

I was thinking that all of the movies in the top 4 include some kind of a , how do I say this, corporation? And it's either illegal or not 100% decent.

Lacho's gang, facebook, the Animal Kingdom crime family, I Am Love's "taking advantage of Jews" company.

Kinda his element, I guess. Or maybe I'm just trying to invent a theory :p

OtherRobert said...

I didn't think twice about Somewhere's absence because Black Swan didn't make his list, either. Venice was the festival that planted the "Mila Kunis is great" seed that seems to be blossoming to an Oscar nomination.

Volvagia said...

It's "Lotso's." He is the "Lotso Hugging Bear."

NATHANIEL R said...

OtherRobert -- or maybe he didn't like Black Swan but just loved Mila in it?

OtherRobert said...

Nathaniel, I hadn't even considered that possibility. Would Quentin Tarantino have liked the whole film? That's something to mull over. It has all the pulpy goodness he loves to slather on the screen, but it's used for character study, not plot development. It's not reinvented or twisted, just presented in a pretty standard way. I remember thinking back then that award was Quentin's way of trying to cast Mila Kunis in a future project.

Mirko said...

Even if I disagree with some of his choices, I like the kind of movies Tarantino cherishes. BONUS POINT for his ENTER THE VOID inclusion...

Ryan said...

the absence of BLACK SWAN is baffling-albite fascinating-and nice to see how far up I AM LOVE placed.

oh how i wish more directors/ actors/ writers gave us their top 10 each year

James T said...

Volvagia - Oops. I didn't mean to re-invent it :p

Andrew R. said...

Wait...Tarantino, the genius who loves violent exploitation films featuring foot fetishes, Mexican standoffs, and poor treatment of waiters liked TOY STORY 3?

That is a really priceless mental image. I can just imagine him sobbing at the ending. LOL.

Ian C. said...

The biggest shocker here (for me) is Tangled at #5. What?!

Also-- this makes me reallllly curious to hear his thoughts on Black Swan...

City_of_Lights said...

I'd love to know his thoughts on Black Swan too because, well, I absolutely hated it. Most overhyped movie and lead actress performance in years IMO. I thought I would spare myself the agony but I got dragged to go see it. I don't think I have ever agreed more with Red Reed.

Also saw The Fighter. Love Amy Adam but didn't think I would like the film. Greta movie. I didn't even recognize Bale until 20 minutes into the film. Highly recommend it even if you don't care for boxing. The smaller performances from Wahlberg's family really adds to the movie.

City_Of_Lights said...

Also...really curious to know has Tarantino seen Rabbit Hole?

City_Of_Lights said...

Geez, could I have made any more spelling mistakes? Sorry!

NATHANIEL R said...

IAN i know! I want a whole review of it from him. I've never wanted to hear Tarantino jabber on more actually

Philip said...

I know I'm obviously not the first to think it, but Black Swan's absence really surprised me.

Rick said...

I love that he included Greenberg.. I really loved this movie in an odd sort of way ... I would have put Ben Stiller in the running for an Oscar nom ... too bad that is not going to happen.

caroline said...

There are some youtube videos of Tarantino talking about his favorite movies from the past 20 years actually. I love it when he goes on about the movies - his love and enthusiasm are always so contagious. And he's a total softie. I remember that in 2009 he supposedly loved Bright Star so much that he wrote Jane Campion a letter. Imagine that.

eve said...

wow,i love his taste in movies