Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Eat, Link, and Be Merry (and Retire Before You're Washed Up)

Word recently entered the entertainment media that French action auteur Luc Besson, he of the Milla Jovovich fixation, has retired from directing. He recently completed his 10th feature. I don't have any specific feelings about his filmography but there are a couple of things for which I'm grateful. I can take or leave La Femme Nikita (and its subsequent remakes/spinoffs) but Besson did bring us the memorable feature debut of Natalie Portman in The Professional (I swiped this ancient pic from this fine Natalie site) and Bruce Willis in that backless orange Tee in The Fifth Element (OK, so that was a Gaultier contribution. Let's not split hairs) So here's to Luc!

As I was writing this post I noticed that Besson is the producer of Jodie Foster's Flora Plum. That's got to be a full time job in and of itself so it's good that he's cleared off his work table.

And finally: Michael Bay is on his 7th picture and Brett Ratner is on his 8th. Can they please take Besson's cue and bow out soon?

Some links to peruse re: other things entirely
Defamer has a really funny post on last weekend's box office.
David Poland on Peter O'Toole's Oscar buzz for Venus.
NewNowNext All about gay happenings @ TIFF --This post is so gay it made me feel butch. Which is... *clears throat* rare.
WOW Report Cheyenne Jackson @ the gym. Mmmm, Cheyenne. (you'll remember I love, won't you?)

5 comments:

adam k. said...

Whoa, is the girl in that photo Natalie? That's the most unflattered picture of her I've EVER seen. And she STILL looks good.

adam k. said...

*unflattering

NATHANIEL R said...

that is Natalie. I think she was 14 or something.

adam k. said...

Only at the height of physical awkwardness (i.e. circa age 14) could Natalie possibly take a bad picture.

Not that it's even bad. She just doesn't look as perfect as usual.

Glenn Dunks said...

The Professional is actually my fave Portman performance. That movie was great. My favourite Besson is La Femme Nikita though.

Shame he sort of went weird and stopped making even passably good movies.