Monday, July 02, 2007

Links

Michelle Pfeiffer Interview @ Broadway World
Solace...
Viggo Mortenson's bathhouse brawl in Eastern Promises
Boing Boing on a disgusting Google maneuver involving Michael Moore's Sicko. Remember when Google's motto was "don't be evil" ? I guess they threw that one out.
Silly Hats Only theorizes: Kane will never be dethroned from movie lists
Anne Thompson on Focus Features at the fests
Scanners on the difficulty of the word "abortion" in film
ModFab has seen the best of the film year (so far)
Cinematical trouble on the set of Bazmark's Australia. I'm not worried. Delays and problems didn't impede Moulin Rouge! 's journey to greatness

and now a moment of bitching...
Breath of Fresh Ink goddamnit! TV is stealing Audra McDonald from Broadway for that Grey's Anatomy spinoff. It's bad enough that that popular soap already robbed theater fans of Sara Ramirez's awesome musical pipes so that she could play an eternal pathetic doormat. Ummmm, yay (?) I know that David E Kelley is past his television prime but at least when Mr. Pfeiffer himself cast Broadway stars (which he once did regularly) he always found a way to get them singing on the show. The Law & Order franchise and Grey's Anatomy just gives musical stars useless parts any nonsinging actor can play. Argh!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I suddenly cannot wait for Eastern Promises...

J.D. said...

Google... why? Why? Do you want me to go to Yahoo!?

Anonymous said...

Maybe musical theatre actors like to things other than musical theatre and broadway.

Anonymous said...

Maybe this is punishment to the Broadway community for allowing the Young Frankenstein pricing structure.

NATHANIEL R said...

anonymous --don't try to use logic against a musical theater fanatic like me. it only confuses me since i am busing humming showtunes while reading

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't be so sad about Audra fleeing Broadway if it wasn't to head off to the Grey's spinoff. I tried getting into Grey's, my attempt failed, and the spinoff looks even worse.

Plus, I'm a musical theatre snob of the highest order. I may be the ONLY one who sees it this way, but in my mind: Broadway > Movies > television.

NATHANIEL R said...

and by busing i clearly meant "busy"

Glenn Dunks said...

I suspect the Broadway actors getting a nice healthy pay check would disagree.

:)

Anonymous said...

Just so we're clear, currently Broadway has "Spamalot," "Legally Blonde," "Mary Poppins," "The Lion King," and "The Color Purple."

If that's better than The Wire, Battlestar Galactica, MI-5, Life on Mars, Lost, Weeds and Doctor Who.... okay.

If I thought Broadway represented theatre, I'd be very depressed. Thankfully, there's London and regional theatre around the world doing nervy and interesting work.

NATHANIEL R said...

Arkaan --are you a politician? ;) that's totally 'spinning' --you're comparing the stupid megahits to the quality boutique television. unfair unfair.

a better analogy would be


"Spamalot," "Legally Blonde," "Mary Poppins," "The Lion King," and "The Color Purple."

compared to Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, So You Think You Can Dance?, American Idol, and Two and a Half Men.

you know?

so yeah. Now B'way don't look so bad right

Anonymous said...

Me, spin? Nah.

That said, the original poster compared Broadway (a very specific segment of World Theatre) to Movies (not Hollywood) and Television (again, in general, not the entire world). By virtue of the fact that Broadway is so limited, I think I'd win.