Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Curio: Natalie Wood's Girlfriend Days

Alexa here. Today would have been Natalie Wood's 72nd birthday. She was one of those rare child actors who grew into a graceful adult on screen. As a teenager I was so entranced with the melodrama of Splendor in the Grass that it lived in our VCR for months. So like any good fangirl I bought this old teen movie magazine from the 50s the instant I spotted it.


Inside is a silly puff piece on Natalie, with pictures of her and her studio-arranged boyfriend Nick Adams.


Natalie had just secured her role opposite Gene Kelly in Marjorie Morningstar. (Looks like that remake starring Scarlett Johansson never materialized.)
Interestingly, inside Natalie is pretty honest about her "work" with Nick:


"A lot of what people think are dates," she explained, "are not dates at all. They're publicity things. They're work, actually."


I just spotted Natalie's daughter, Natasha Gregson Wagner, on The Closer this week. It felt like I hadn't seen her in anything since High Fidelity, although she's popped up in small roles here and there. I wonder if Natasha's strong resemblance to her mom hurt or helped her career; the same thing helped Kate Hudson, at least early on.

A good Natalie Wood film binge would have to include
Miracle on 34th Street, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, Rebel Without a Cause, The Searchers, Splendor in the Grass, West Side Story (but not Gypsy), and Love with a Proper Stranger. Feel free to disagree in the comments.



13 comments:

NATHANIEL R said...

I am always so happy to hear similar stories to mine about falling for Natalie Wood. Of all the superstars of past decades I feel like she's discussed well, not nearly enough.

Rick said...

As NAthaniel might remember, I have been in love and still in love with her to this day.. In one of his blogs, I even kidded that I half owned her with him!!

I live in Monterey, Ca. and I have et a number of people who had some kind of meetings with her... none said a bad word about her

Rick said...

Sorry about the et in the last post.. should be met.

Also, Nick Adams was NOT a studio date. He wheedled himself into her life after "Rebel" and used her to gain his so-called fame. He did it with many others once she caught on to him. He was known, even then, as a star-f-----.

Jenny said...

She was so young when she did all her most famous movies....she only made four films during the last 15 years of her life before her death at 43. There are so many films I can imagine her being in. She is said to have turned down Bonnie and Clyde, The Graduate, Barefoot in the Park, Goodbye Columbus, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Love Story, The Great Gatsby, and The Towering Inferno. No one would ever know who Faye Dunaway, Katharine Ross or Ali MacGraw were had Natalie not turned down those major films.

Dan said...

Gorgeous and graceful actress. Saw her recently in that Bob and Sue and Mike and Geraldine (or whatever it's called) film.

I would have loved to have seen her in The Graduate if those rumours are to be believed.

Jenny said...

Alexa I also saw Natasha Gregson on The Closer. The only other thing I'd seen her in was a movie called Another Day in Paradise, which was very good. She looks like her dad Richard Gregson. The other daughter Courtney (the one she had by Robert Wagner) looks a lot more like Natalie.

It would be nice if one of them had a kid...the clock is ticking and Natalie's lineage should live on.

Paul Outlaw said...

I beg to differ about Gypsy and West Side Story. I could watch her in the former over and over again and I think Tony and Maria are the weakest part of WSS.

Simon said...

Inside Daisy Clover and This property is Condemned. At least for me.

Alexa said...

Interesting, Rick. I'd always thought the studio created them as a duo.

Jenny, I always thought Natasha was the spitting image of her mom, and Courtney of her dad! It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess.

Dave in Alamitos Beach said...

I just saw The Great Race this past weekend. The movie is borderline awful, but Natalie Wood wore the hell out of all those costumes. Gorgeous!

adri said...

I remember seeing a movie called "Penelope" with Natalie Wood. It was some kind of mystery, with Natalie looking gorgeous and Peter Falk as the rumpled detective who was after her. I've wanted to see "Inside Daisy Clover", "This Property is Condemned" and "Marjorie Morningstar" but they seem a little hard to come by.

As a child star, you can't take your eyes off her. Such a compelling presence.

jm said...

Nathaniel, Anne Hathaway looks like a young Natalie Wood.

How To Get Your Ex Back said...

The only other thing I'd seen her in was a movie called Another Day in Paradise, which was very good.