Monday, July 19, 2010

Sing A Song Of Joe

JA from MNPP here, with a choice quote from one of the stars of this weekend's big box office winner Inception (did you read Nat's review? I agree with him) a lithe and lovely talented little fellow by the name of Joseph Gordon-Levitt, giving a vague nod towards what might be prancing on to next:

"I'd absolutely love to do more song-and-dance numbers... I don't want to spoil it, but there's something in the works, man, and I can't wait."

Nat keeps track of what musicals are turning cinematic far better than I do, but anything JGL's stuffing himself into gives me a mean case of the curiosities. The link offering up this quote suggests perhaps he'll play opposite Russell Crowe in the remake of A Star is Born, but I can't help it, my mind drifts off towards the rumored Damn Yankees movie... Jake Gyllenhaal as the slugger and JGL as the devil? Please? But I'm hardly the expert, so....

What musical would you cast Joe in?
.

16 comments:

Volvagia said...

The proposed Mendes adaptation of Follies?

Ryan said...

Big screen adaptation of Next to Normal, with Joseph G-L as Gabe, Meryl Streep as Diana, Richard Gere as Dan, Evan Rachel Wood as Natalie, Jamie Bell as Henry, and James Marsden as the Doctor. Done.

Paul Outlaw said...

This?

Dominique said...

Marry me, Ryan.

Philip said...

JGL! <3
My fav actor.

I remember two summers ago I was in a production of Damn Yankees and heard that Jake Gyllenhaal was gonna be (Young) Joe and Jim Carrey was gonna be the devil. Kinda bleh, but it's not the best show in the first place, so whatevs.

Anyway, I think it's cool that he might be trying a musical!
I hope he can nab an Oscar nom sometime in the near future.

Unknown said...

I just checked out a video on YouTube of him singing Madonna's classic "Express Yourself." Had no idea he could sing that well.

Just a thought... does anyone else think that he'd make a decent if not terrific Fiyero in the film adaptation of Wicked that's supposedly getting off the ground?

Walter L. Hollmann said...

God, I really don't wanna be that guy, but does anyone else just *not* like his voice? At least not for any of the musicals being named so far. He does more speaking, and in a rough, screaming way. And his SNL "Make 'Em Laugh" was spirited and enjoyable, but the guy just couldn't *sing* it.

Maybe Jesus Christ Superstar, if anything. Which, if I recall, Marc Webb was attached to?

/3rtfu11 said...

He is so cute.

RW said...

JGL's opening musical monologue from "Saturday Night Live" was one of the best of the year. He has the chops for a musical of his own.

MRRIPLEY said...

His dance routine from 500 days of summer was one of my top 10 cinema moments of 2009.

that golden globe was his!!!! give it back robert or i'll send captain america.

Ryan T. said...

Here's a sampling of JGL's vocal talents:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZawVNKJdSD0

I'm sold.

NATHANIEL R said...

Oh Calcutta!

Rick said...

I would love him in anything!

adri said...

A remake of Ken Russell's "The Boyfriend" that had Twiggy and Peter Gable in it. I'd like to see JGL with Zooey Deschanel again, and this is a light tuneful show. There's a great part for an aging diva as well, that Glenda Jackson played.

D said...

I just got reminded that they're trying to push forward with a Shankman directed "Rock of Ages" film. But I don't necessarily see a part for JoGo-Lev in it?

Seeing_I said...

JoGoLev is my favorite actor these days, and it doesn't hurt that he's talented, self-effacing, and cute as can be. I'd watch him read the phone book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZawVNKJdSD0

Jeff Moss' Sesame Street classic for the win!