Sunday, May 22, 2005

Aslan Comes Out

Before Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith on Friday night all of the teasers & trailers for wannabe blockbusters were popping off the screen.

Batman Begins
Can't wait.

Fantastic 4
Yes, it still looks like bad.

The Island
The first teaser (linked above) is much more effective than the new trailer in theaters. The trailer here gives you a small idea of the storyline. The trailer in theaters is a mess. All explosions and no discernable idea of what they're trying to sell. No applause in the theater despite the very applaudable pairing of Ewan 'lightsaber' MacGregor and Scarlett 'pink panties' Johansson. They even get horizontal in the trailer. I give that a standing ovation, personally. I don't know what was wrong with the crowd in my theater.

The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe
LotR fever strikes studios. This is an obvious attempt to deliver the next big multi-film classic fantasy book adaptation at holiday time. I am a bit surprised that they let Aslan out of the bag this soon, visually. (Though I can't find this trailer online yet) Perhaps I'm overstating. How many ways can a lion look exactly? Maybe they never planned on keeping him hidden. At any rate, you'd think they'd save him for the trailer a month before the actual premiere. My favorite image in the trailer is the brief glimpse of Tilda Swinton as the Snow Queen. Perfect casting.

Mr. & Mrs. Smith
This trailer sells explosions and mayhem. But it's Jolie and Pitt both on fleshy display that caused the explosion amongst the audience.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nate, this is an emergency. I saw the film "Brothers" yesterday, but due to parking meter issues I had to leave the theater in the last five minutes of the film (or I would suppose). To give you an idea of where I left, it's where Connie Nielson approaches Michael when he's in prison. Could you by any chance tell me how the film ended (if you remember at all)? I'm dying to know, as I probably won't have a chance to see it again any time soon.

Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. Spokane drive recovery linux zamora org dental plans 1995 cadillac electrical parts 3 credit report agency 1 under 600 fico Honda civic sway bar kit free credit report access get three credit scores Internet credit score uk Parental control of cable