Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Borrowed Time

Until I feel really inspired, and until this cup of coffee does its cup of joe mojo on me (still so sleepy), I'll be a-borrowing topics from others. My friend Nick just did this...

10 Years Ago I...
1. obsessed on Elisabeth Shue's performance in Leaving Las Vegas and Sean Penn's in Dead Man Walking. In a screw-you switcheroo Oscar loved the other performance in each film most of all.
2. realized that the group of friends I had made the year before were going to be lifelong ones. Big hugs to my 'Fruit Family'
3. dated alot and then a total boyfriend drought began (which I thought would never end).
4. was still licking the wounds of coming out to my parents the year before. My dad, asked me what I did when I got these "cravings." Hilarious now, the choice of words. But painful to hear at the time.
5. took my nephews to see Babe which we all totally loved and which, for weeks thereafter they mimicked in pipsqueak narrating-mouse voices.

5 Years Ago I...

1. obsessed on Dancer in the Dark --Film Comment even printed a snippet of a letter I wrote that said I suspected it would be the best of the decade and the decade had just begun!
2. thought briefly about the leaving the company I'm still with but stayed which wasa good decision at the time but doesn't feel so hot now that it's five years later and I'm eager for change.
3. was feeling the success of my virgin website and had given up the print zine upon which it was based.
4. went to the beach a lot with my best friend. I need another summer like that; large quantities of sun and sand.
5. attended Wigstock for the last time and also attended the Millenium March on Washington (i'm in the blond in both pics above) which was a highly memorable event. Thousands of GLBT people descending on the capital marching for their rights? Priceless.

to be continued...?

8 comments:

adam k. said...

Are you saying you're upset that Susan Sarandon won the oscar that year? She had to win. Also, Nic Cage won literally everything that year before the oscar (and EVERYthing is rare) so you can't really blame them for that either...

NATHANIEL R said...

no. i wasn't upset. I loved all four performances. But if it had been me it woulda been Shue & Penn for the statues --so the other half of the couplings.

Sarandon woulda already had had at least one golden boy by then.

adam k. said...

It is still weird to me that Cage won EVERY major award, and pretty much every minor award, too. NBR, NY, LA, NSFC, Boston, Dallas, Chicago, Globe, SAG, Oscar. That only happens with, like, Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice. The only thing he lost to Penn was the Indy Spirit Award (which is a death knell anyway). But I bet you were happy with the spirits where Shue and Penn both won! I still have no real opinions on which performances of these four I'd prefer, I'd have to watch the films again.

Anonymous said...

Wow Nat, I knew you loved Shue, but I didn't think you were one of the only other people who thought she deserved to win that year (because I know you love Sarandon, too.)

She was so utterly brilliant in that film and her lack of a career thereafter never ceases to depress me. I'm planning on drowning my sorrows in seeing Mysterious Skin this weekend and can only hope she has a good part.

NATHANIEL R said...

Shue is good in Mysterious Skin but it isn't much of a part really. All too brief. (Both her career peak and her new role)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth Shue:
Career Peak - "Leaving Las Vegas" (simply excellent performance)
Career Nadir - "Molly" (absolutely dreadful performance... and film. I give that horrible movie an F grade)

Shame, really...

-Glenn

NATHANIEL R said...

I never saw Molly I am too fond of Elisabeth Shue and knew better. I guess I should have used the same discernment when Juliette Lewis made The Other Sister

Anonymous said...

You forgot Andrew Jackson’s Big Block of Cheese with nary a macaroni in sight.