Monday, January 21, 2008

"While Visions of Oscar Noms Danced In Their Heads"

The Nominees for the 80th Annual Oscars are announced tomorrow morning. A month later (Feb 24th) the Oscars arrive rain or shine or writer's strike.

I assume you've already read my final predictions --I had to go in and make two changes: First that pesky totally unfair score ruling just discussed (previous post) and second, I forgot to include documentaries the first time through. Whoops. Anyway my predix. I received the usual angry e-mails (mostly involving Cate Blanchett. I'm telling you: scientists should study her DNA because boy does she inspire mad devotion) but I always include a couple of surprises/unlikely things. This is nothing new. I like to have fun with my red carpet consumed imagination, I'm not a copy & paste consensus machine. Predicting should be fun! The Oscars are a party for movie lovers. Or they should be. I believe in taking them very seriously as time capsule snapshots of what the movie industry values ...but predictions? Those are just the streamers. They give the party that festive feeling as you enter --before the A lists guests arrive -- but they're totally disposable. Nobody cares about them once the punch is flowing.

In the spirit of egalitarianism I thought I'd point out that many other websites and blogs exist which also cover the Oscar race. Not that you don't know that already... but I think it's fun, especially in regards to a confusing race, to see what people include and what they leave out. Here's some multi-colored streamers for you...

Low Resolution daringly predicts a There Will Be Blood snub. Ooh... * Stale Popcorn is standing by Atonement * Edward Copeland on Film enlists a few friends. Four heads are better than one * I Don't Like Renée Zellweger jumps on the surprise (Laura Linney!) bandwagon * Crumb by Crumb, Oscar Igloo and Oscar Breach all think its Juno that'll get the snub. That wouldn't surprise me either... despite the media craze. It did start very late and it does skew very young * The Envelope doesn't come right out and predict it but Tom O'Neil is giving me the sense that American Gangster isn't anywhere close to out of the race * Oscar Jam goes one step further and predicts it to make the BP shortlist * Nick's Flick Picks offers up the funny with a surprising rundown * In Contention has technical category wrap-ups *Oscar Obsession and Cifra's Mania still believe in enchanted Amy Adams * Cinemascopian doesn't want Michael Clayton near the shortlist * Slant details where Oscar will go wrong. And right on occassion * Awards Dail = always worth a visit * And the Winner Is... goes barebones style * ModFab and The Gold Digger see an Into the Wild stumble * Joe's Movie Corner wants Atonement in there reallll bad *

There are millions of blogs so god knows that's just scratching the surface.

IN OTHER NEWS:

The Annual Razzies (i.e. worst of the year) have also been announced for those of you who have already tired of all that "good job" back patting. Worst of the year dishonors are mainly focused on Eddie Murphy's fatsuit antics in Norbit. The film received 8 nominations, 5 of which were Murphy's alone, making him the highest single nominated performer in any one year in the history of the Razzies.

Lindsay Lohan's career suicide year was also featured: I Know Who Killed Me (right) cut its competition with a whopping nine nominations. Lindsay Lohan is a bigger lock to win Worst Actress here than Javier Bardem is to win Best Supporting Actor at the Oscars, don't you think?
*

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Off Topic, but I highly recommend Cloverfield to one and all. True, is a recycled story and only has decent characters, but there is no denying that the thrills and scares are provided. A great, intense movie and I can't wait to see it again!

Glenn Dunks said...

I'm sticking with Atonement, am jumping on the (surprise) Laura Linney bandwagon and calling the Juno snub. I coulda applied for the first three things!

But, yes, I predicted a Greenwood snub anyway, so there's that to feel chuffed about.

J.D. said...

I feel left out. :(

But, GOD, I really really really really really REALLY hope Atonement still makes it in. It's a retarded blind hope, I know. And I'm just setting myself for extreme disappoint. And most of my hopes aren't wise at all.

I forgot my point.

Eli said...

Hey, can someone tell me when and where the announcements are taking place. Is it 5:30a.m. on E?

Glenn Dunks said...

At least with Atonement I'm set for disappointment. Just like Joan Allen two years back. I know it's a longshot, but... but... yeah. You get what I mean.

And, I mean, if it's replaced by Diving Bell or Juno I can't really be disappointed. An arty french flick with barely $2.5mil gross and a teen-skewed comedy? That either of them could be best pic contenders is something to rejoice.

...it's Into the Wild that I'll be disappointed over.

Glenn Dunks said...

Eli, you can typically watch something like USA Today and they cut live to the announcements. USA Today airs down here as well, but delayed. I like to watch the announcements being read out so I wait until then and watch it before coming online to discuss. It means I'm always way behind in the discussion, but I figure it's alright. We've got a whole month to discuss, what's a few hours?

adam k. said...

Yeah, what time will it be on? 8 or 8:30 eastern time? Cause that's when I'll have to be getting up...

I also am with Atonement, Linney AND the Juno snub. Another random thing I'm predicting is an Into the Wild screenplay shut out (in favor of Atonement).

You know what's interesting, though, is even someone like Nat who loved Atonement didn't nominate it in ANY of the top categories, so I guess that doesn't bode well for it. I really want to predict McAvoy to replace Emile Hirch, but I can't quite do it.

adam k. said...

One thing I'm excited about is that ALL of the best pic nominees could conceivably end up in the 7 or 8 nominations range, meaning there'll be no clear frontrunner in nomination count alone. And the fact that the presumed frontrunner based on precursors (No Country) STILL doesn't seem like something that can win best picture makes it even more interesting.

adam k. said...

Another thing: the "most nominations goes on to win" rule seems to be breaking down (as have many of the "rules") in the past few years. Not since 2003 has the movie with the most nominations gone on to win. Also not since 2003 has a best picture globe winner gone on to win (though that had happened in every previous year since 1996).

Anonymous said...

well, i drove drove drove to see "There will be blood" today on my day off. meh. meh also to "no country"....i didn't like either one of them. sorry. have not see atonement or juno yet. meh to "le vie en rose" - reminded me of lucy expressions. sorry gang. i need stuff that's a bit more uplifting. I would not be surprised to see john travolta in the mix.

Paul C. said...

Yeesh, I hope tomorrow's nominations aren't like the crop from 2 years ago, which had almost no surprises. Hell, the directors even matched the best picture nominees. Boooooooo-ring.

I posted my predictions over at The Screengrab earlier today. In addition, I've posted some thoughts on the Jonny Greenwood situation. Talk about shady...

The Jaded Armchair Reviewer said...

All this Oscar speculation and year-end lists being done around the blogosphere makes me glad that I don't give out awards but "I like you" notices for my own "unconventional movie season" round up. :)

E Dot said...

I'm pretty sure any way the Best Pic line-up goes, it's gonna be a surprise. Something's getting snubbed, something's sneaking in.

P.S. Finally saw La Vie En Rose (I know, it's taken far too long). Eesh, no wonder Marion Cotillard is receiving so much attention. She's phenomenal! Totally deserving for that Oscar.

Glenn Dunks said...

Something of note from Joe (Low Resolution)'s predictions:

"when was the last time all the most critically acclaimed movies made the Oscar shortlist?"

Hmmm.

The Jaded Armchair Reviewer said...

Random:

Ah, seeing Glenn post here just now reminded me that I saw Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban watching in the crowd during the Australian Open yesterday.

Speaking of Nicole, Margot at the Wedding still hasn't made it over here so I only have The Golden Compass to judge her year.

Emma said...

I've finally made my predictions. And I think Atonement will get in!

Anonymous said...

Sure, Lohan is as close to a lock as Helen Mirren was last year for the Oscars!!