Remember almost exactly a year ago when I did that impossible list of Favorite Film Characters of All Time? At the time I excluded anybody from the Aughts on account of they were still so new and we'd get to them later. Well, it's later. Here's a quick rundown which I may expand for another project later. These are the newish characters from the last decade in film that are (arguably) the ones I think about the most. I cherish them... it's not a list of best written or best performances or best whatever. It's a list of characters that frequently hop into my brain. They've bought condos in my brain real estate. Though obviously if you asked me on a different day...
Not that you asked me today.
10 Favorite(ish) Movie Characters of the Aughts
- Ennis Del Mar in Brokeback Mountain "Jack, I swear"
- Lalit Verma in Monsoon Wedding (Loving dads in cinema really get to me. I'm sure armchair therapists will love that)
- Clementine in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind "I'm just a fucked up girl trying to find some peace of mind"
- Eleanor Fine in Far From Heaven "Cathy... I'm your best friend"
- Tom Stall in A History of Violence (I've brought pompoms to this post...just in case)
- Satine in Moulin Rouge! "wilting flower, bright and bubbly or smoldering temptress?"
- Poppy in Happy-Go-Lucky (my hero!)
- Sara Goldfarb in Requiem for a Dream (At least once a week I find myself thinking about Sara thinking about that red dress. And that's no exaggeration)
- Vivian and Brad Markowski in I ♥ Huckabees "Have you ever transcended space and time?"
- Elle Driver (aka California Mountain Snake) in Kill Bill, Vol. I and Kill Bill, Vol. 2
- Mr Chow in In the Mood For Love and 2046 (who leaves behind a cloud of cigarette smoke to punctuate this list)
Did these characters sink way down deep into your soul? Or are the newish fictional men/women/creatures that are never far from your thoughts quite a different dozen?