Thursday, August 05, 2010

Link-Fest at Tiffany's

Stale Popcorn Glenn surveys the 19 eligible films for the Australian Oscars.
I Need My Fix Jane Lynch gets a wax figure. Glee has now officially taken over the world. Watch it take over the Emmys next.
Hot Blog in depth Sissy Spacek interview. Goes all the way back to the early years.
I didn't work until I was 20. I just looked like I was 13.
HKMDB Daily Stills from the Chinese remake of What Women Want with superstars Gong Li & Andy Lau
Towleroad Jennifer Aniston as Barbra Streisand? People...


Scanners
looks at how the reviews of Salt deal with Angelina Jolie's super-sized star persona
Box Office Mojo some release date shifts for Disney and two cancellations. Is the Beauty & The Beast 3D death another sign that 3D is over? If so, YAY! B&tB is perfect as is thankyouverymuch.
His Eyes Were Watching Movies Volver collects another fan. I honestly think that movie will continue to do so until it's regarded as one of Almodóvar's very best. Because it so is.
That Obscure Object old paparazzi photos sometimes freak me out. This is the Thelma & Louise stars: Susan, Geena and Brad. Ah, sweet bird of 1991 youth.
Empire when I read the capsule header or this article about Dolphin Tale starring Ashley Judd, Harry Connick Jr and Morgan Freeman -- that cast! -- I actually thought I had clicked on the wrong link and gone back to an article from the 1990s. True story, I did.
Low Resolution Have you read Joe's entertaining & thought provoking personal Emmy ballots? You should.

I'm a dancer!
One more round of applause for the "best shot" participants in case you missed their entries: the neon gynecology, the phallic solar plexus, the starry eyes, the sabotage, the makeup and the vomiting dolphin.

must read contemporary post of the day
Op-Ed Maureen Dowd and Sam Wasson, the author of that Breakfast at Tiffany's book discuss the sorry wrist-slitting state of the romantic comedy. They name names. Wonderful discussion. I just may read it again and buy Wasson's book.

must read retrospective post of the day
Nick's Flick Picks reviews James Cameron's The Abyss (1989). As per usual his insights are totally invigorating. He always makes me want to see movies again. You can miss so much. I love this bit on Ed Harris
Harris, whose charisma, gaze, and body were like a periodic table of virile emotion during this period in his career, is tremendously moving throughout this key sequence, and really throughout the movie.
"A periodic table of virile emotion"...god, what a gorgeous distillation of Ed Harris. When is his honorary Oscar coming (since the real thing seems ever out of reach)?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's an interview with Jolie for Salt talking about using her eyes for acting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS1WQecI9YY

Jude said...

For Glee's sake, they better hope that the backlash they're bound to get is more like the backlash Friends got, where people briefly got sick of Friends, realized that they still loved the show despite the media oversaturation, and came back to it.

Bia said...

Ashley Judd would be perfect for an Ava Gardner biopic.

Robert Hamer said...

I'd probably go a full letter grade lower than Nick on The Abyss. The depiction of Michael Biehn's Navy SEAL character bothered me a hell of more than it did him, apparently.

Waldo said...

Gong Li = HOT. Can't wait for this flick
Loved her in Shanghai.

NicksFlickPicks said...

@Nathaniel: Mwah!

@Robert: For slightly different reasons than you are, I'm usually pretty defensive about clichéd representations of the military, especially when they're go-to baddies. I agree that Biehn's character, as written even more than as played, is way off the mark here, but there's so much going on in The Abyss that I didn't think much about him unless he was right there in front of me. Like a lot of the other problems I had with the movie, it just didn't make as big a dent as it probably "should" have in my experience of the movie. But I definitely get where you're coming from - even if it isn't personal!

Connor said...

Whoever wants to see the 3D fad die, say aye.

NATHANIEL R said...

aye

James Cameron said...

aye (unless it's shot in 3D)

Anonymous said...

aye

/3rtfu11 said...

Nick,

How come you didn't review the superior extended Special Edition? Cameron’s director’s cut is everything the Theatrical Version never was.

MD said...

That Disney news confuses me. My theatre has Beauty and the Beast 3D scheduled for Sunday. However, if 3D is finally dying, I have to give my support.

Glenn Dunks said...

aye, sorta. I have no problem with one or two big 3D movies a year like Avatar, nor do I mind the occasional animated/horror movie in 3D (hello Piranha 3D!) but... the rest? No. And it's not so much that they're in 3D, it's that cinemas program the 2D sessions at really bad times so you're forced to see 3D if you want to go to the movies at a night time.

Michael B. said...

Nathaniel,

The only reason why Beauty and The Beast was pushed back was because Disney wanted to release it on DVD in 3-D and they thought not enough consumers had bought into 3-D TVs yet.

Glenn said...

Oh, and thanks for the linkage.

Robert said...

Wow, thanks so much for the link! I am honored. And Volver is such an amazing, amazing movie...more people need to see it!