Tuesday, August 17, 2010

'We are Link Bob-Omb'

Today is Irish beauty and movie star Maureen O'Hara's 90th birthday. Oh, don't look so surprised Maureen! Ya know I love you though it's true I rarely talk about you herein. Hmmm, how to remedy? I'm beyond thrilled that you're still with us and I love you with great heaping muchness. xoxo, a fan.

Where were we? Linkage!

I went a little crazy today because I was catching up on my web browsing and some actual reading (gasp). Enjoy.

SLATIFR Dennis Cozzalio interviews Self Styled Siren. Terrific read if you love erudite movie lovers and I do, I do, I do. Can't wait for part 2.
ToH! Julia Roberts back on top, even at #2
Heroine Content on the women in Scott Pilgrim vs the World and one distasteful element.
Totally Looks Like James Buchanan totally looks like John Lithgow!Movie|Line Wish Michael Douglas well, he's got a tumor in his throat.
i09 Jason Schartzmann on his villain role in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World
It's kind of hard to be in a room and every time you get punched or hit people applaud. You're kind of like "wait, wait, wait it's fake I'm nice, I'm NICE!"
Ha. Fun movie that.
PopEater is Neil Patrick Harris thinking of quitting showbiz? Eek.
The Wrap says we need more female action heroes. Which we do. But there's a strange suggestion here that Angelina Jolie has just become one with Salt. Uh, that happened many years ago -- Jolie as badass, not Jolie as Salt.
Salon When should a director stop messing with their earlier films? "Serial recutter" Michael Mann has a new version of Last of the Mohicans (1992) out for home consumption.
Maurice's Blog Batgirl! I can't tell you how much I obsessed over Yvonne Craig as a wee kid so I relate.


Nick's Flick Picks is about to debut what sounds like a fascinating and sorely needed new "grading" system. Maybe everyone will copy this!
/Film new photos from Sofia Coppola's Somewhere.
MNPP JA finally sees the Johnny Depp Pretty in Cry Baby. Funny post.
Dave Kehr a new Kim Novak box set with five films.
Scanners
a beautiful and enthusiastic piece on The Kids Are All Right and how expertly judged the filmmaking is: editing, shotwork, etcetera
Movie Dearest on the DVD rerelease of Orlando and the ageless Tilda Swinton
Blog Stage "Matthew McConaughey Can't Stand Up By Himself" Hee. I've never noticed this before but GLENN did last year as Vertigo reminds us in the comments. Glenn is brilliant. I wish I'd started my "posterized" series a year ago and beat him to it.

10 comments:

Mirko said...

Happy Birthday, great Maureen!
and thanks a lot for what you gave us in movies such as HOW GREEN WAS MY VALLEY, THE QUIET MAN, RIO GRANDE, THE LONG GRAY LINE, THE BLACK SWAN, THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME!

And shame of you, Academy!!! (I think you know very well the reason why!)

Alison Flynn said...

Happy birthday, Maureen!

Today they're playing her movies on TCM for 24 hours, as part of their Summer Under the Stars series. :)

NicksFlickPicks said...

"A friend of the couple's flat-out believes Neil is the bio-father, telling me, 'He is the driving force in the relationship and seems to make all the big decisions, however, it's impossible to really say.'"

Spare me from Hollywood "friends," and the gossip columnists who quote them. What kind of screwed-up thing is this to say? "He's the more outgoing / visible / whatever of the two, so he's got to be the dad. Though I guess I don't really know."

NATHANIEL R said...

Nick -- true. maybe i shouldnt a linked up to gossip but i just love Neil & David. sigh.

Leehee said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Maureen O'Hara ( and have the clover tattoo to prove it!) so glad you're a fan, as well.
I am very fortunate to have loved her for 25 years (despite the fact I'm only 30) and was even extremely lucky to communicate with her via mail. She is as wonderful as she is beautiful!!
Happy Birthday, Maureen!!

NATHANIEL R said...

Leehee -- wow. that's so cool. tell her to grant me an interview! :)

cal roth said...

L O V E Maureen O'Hara. She's fantastic.

She starred three masterpieces I adore: Ford's Rio Grande and The Quiet Man and Peckinpah's The Deadly Companions.

Mierzwiak said...

About "Matthew McConaughey Can't Stand Up By Himself" - Glenn was first:

http://stalepopcornau.blogspot.com/2009/04/why-cant-matthew-mcconaughey-stand-up.html

Dave in Alamitos Beach said...

Wait, no one has mentioned The Parent Trap?! Gotta love Maureen.

The Quiet Man just would not be the movie it is without her.

And she saved a lot of John Wayne & Jimmy Stewart movies back in the day.

Glenn said...

Thanks Vertigo! I've gotten used to being copied.

And thanks Nathaniel, I am brilliant!

Wasn't Last of the Mohicans bad enough the first time? Do we really need more footage?