Monday, August 02, 2010

Loy-lapalooza

I think August 2nd should be declared an international holiday, Myrna Loy Day.


I first saw her in The Thin Man and last month I was watching The Best Years of Our Lives and marvelling that she just might have been the perfect movie wife, whoever she happened to be married to onscreen. She exudes warmth and love but it doesn't come with anything like sticky sentiment so much as a purifying cool. She's timeless even though she has one of those faces that only seems to have existed in the 1930s.

I love her.
*
*

9 comments:

J.D. said...

Ugh, I agree completely. <3

Alison Flynn said...

I love this post and agree completely. Myrna Loy is amazing. Her pairing with William Powell onscreen was legendary but I also loved her with Cary Grant in Mr. Blandings. In addition to being absolutely lovely she had a wonderful sense of humor and a nice flair for droll comedy.

John said...

What are the chances? I did a Myrna Loy double feature today - Best Years of Our Lives and Love Crazy. She's quickly become one of my favourite actresses. AND I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE WAS NEVER NOMINATED FOR AN OSCAR! That could be an interesting article for you to write about! All of her best snubbed performances? Maybe? I'd love to read about that. Also, look up Julianne Moore's TCM tribute to her on Youtube.

Alexa said...

Adore, adore, adore.

Tim B said...

I agree. August 2 is also my birthday! Saw The Best Years Of Our Lives not long ago for the first time and it was a great engrossing flick.

NATHANIEL R said...

Tim B -- happy birthday. well, happy belated birthday now on August 3rd!

Lola said...

I love Myrna Loy as well. :))

Lara said...

She's the best! And The Thin Man is one of my favourite movies. In my humble opinion it should have won over It Happened one Night.
Wasn't she once called Queen of Hollywood?

Kat Forsyth said...

I love her too! I wasn't the biggest fan of The Thin Man as a movie (sorry, Lara! It Happened One Night is pretty much my favourite movie of the decade) but she was fantastically adorable in it. And I love her in Libeled Lady!