Tuesday, April 05, 2005

"525,600 Minutes" (x 9)

Any Rentheads out there? Rent is about to enter its ninth year on Broadway so I figured I ought to check it out having only touring productions prior to moving to New York now (!) six years ago (!). The film will be arriving in November. If Chris Columbus (of Harry Potter / Mrs. Doubtfire fame) who is directing can harness the energy that this show is known for without sacrificing its pansexual East Village edge (even if that "edge" is theme-parkish as edge goes...) than he could have another huge hit on his hands.

The show just works. Not sure why. Sometimes it feels like it shouldn't. But it does. It gets to you. Whether it's the raucous youth comedy of "La Vie Boheme" or Maureen's Laurie Anderson spoof-like performances or the all choked up sentimentality of "I'll Cover You" or "Seasons of Love" Rent remains extremely hard to hate and easy to get swept up in.

...at least on stage. Good luck Columbus!

8 comments:

adam k. said...

Wow, Nathaniel, you seem so generous and unhateful toward Columbus in this post. I guess there's reason enough to give him the benefit of the doubt, until the movie comes to pass. I too wish him luck.
I didn't actually hate Mrs. Doubtfire the way many critics do. There was some unfortunate homo-stereotyping and some oversentimentality at times, but I thought much of it was quite funny. Then again, I was a kid when this movie came out so naturally I would have fond memories. I were first introduced to it now, it might be a different story entirely.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I look back on Mrs. Doubtfire and the Home Alone movies (specifically Home Alone 2 - omgiluvthatmoviekthnx) with great fondness.

I really don't think I can watch Home Alone 2 too many times. I don't know what it is but I really like it. Strange, huh? Just like Sister Act 2. Although Sister Act 2 is infinately better and one of my all time favourites. But then I also have Showgirls in my Top 50 so...

-Glenn

adam k. said...

Oh, the Home Alone movies and the Sister Act movies! Yeah, those were good. Did you know Macauley Culkin got a globe nomination for Home Alone? (just like Whoopi for Sister Act) I didn't until I randomly looked it up one day. And yeah, Sister Act 2 is pretty great. Lauryn Hill is one helluva singer, as she first proved to the world here.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that someone who is not in my close circle of friends can appreciate Sister Act 2 for the masterpiece that is reall it (?!?!)

or, ya know, not "masterpiece" - although IT COMES CLOSE.

anyway. Macauley got a Globe nom? How odd. But they always throw a nod to someone whose likable and in a popular movie (see, Sandra Bullock for Miss Congeniality)

-Glenn

adam k. said...

I know a lot of people who love Sister Act 2.
Macauley got a globe nom (comedy) for the first Home Alone... not that hard to believe, really, considering how hugely popular the film was. But that's probably the youngest leading globe nomination for anyone... ever.

Anonymous said...

Very nice site!
»

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it » »

Anonymous said...

Very nice site! buy levitra online