Thursday, February 08, 2007

We Can't Wait #7 Margot at the Wedding

Nicole Kidman worries she's too botoxed young to play the mother of a teen

From the IMDB's description of Margot at the Wedding
Academy Award nominated writer/director Noah Baumbach brings to life a sharply observed portrait of a family in distress. His latest project is an unflinchingly honest story about coming to terms with one's family and oneself, a journey that is both funny and heartbreaking.
That sounds EXACTLY like The Squid and the Whale so I'm in. Can this measure up to the heartbreaking incisiveness of that film? Can you believe that the Squid screenplay lost the Oscar to f**ing Crash? More importantly (back on topic) has Noah Baumbach given his wife Jennifer Jason Leigh a chance for a real comeback with what we presume is the second most prominent role here --it's been quiet for years and years in her career. And Nicole Kidman? She plays Margot and if she's half as good as Jeff Daniels was in The Squid and the Whale won't she be up for an Oscar again?


JA: I'm a lonely little person, not having really liked The Squid and the Whale, ain't I? I thought Daniels and Linney were both terrific, but something about the movie (cough Eisenberg cough) annoyed me. Not that I wouldn't have awarded it any and everything before Crash, mind you.

I'm a big enough Kidman fan to be curious about this one, but that's almost cancelled out by the presence of Jack Black. Shudder. Well, consider me flummoxed.

Gabriel: I agree with almost every word, JA. I recognize that The Squid and the Whale was a good film, but it hasn't really lasted in my memory. There's something arch and constructed about the way Baumbach writes...prose that draws a lot of attention to itself. But Leigh and Kidman are enough to get me to into the theater for this one.

Joe: I also appreciated Squid more than I loved it. With me, I think it was more a function of seeing it so long after everyone else had – expectations were too high. Daniels and Linney were still all-stars, though. I’m really banking on this to be Jennifer Jason Leigh’s big splashy re-introduction to mainstream cinema. Of course, the last time she teamed up with a name director and a blonde A-list co-star, we got In the Cut, so...

Kidman gives me great pause, much as I like her. This is a stylistic departure for her. When was the last time Her Alabaster Luminescence® went for a talky picture?

Nathaniel: I hadn't thought of that but you're spot on. Even in her contemporary dramas like Birth or Birthday Girl she's not exactly a chatterbox.

Lulu: For me it's enough that Noah Baumbach is (a) interested in writing complex female characters and (b) is drawn to actresses with really smart instincts. (Plus, JJL usedta be my favorite actress of her generation -- and I'm still always game for the risk of her...)

Nathaniel: Well said.

Margot
won't be at that damn wedding until October though so hold your horses, Kidman and Squid fans. Potentially good news: Paramount Vantage is releasing it and they worked hard on their Oscar baby this past year. Potentially bad news: Paramount Vantage has a really full "prestige" slate this year so there's internal competition for any possible Oscar push.

If you'd like to really dive into your inner Kidmania, I'd suggest Nicole Kidman United where I got these set photos.

previously on "we can't wait"
#8 moved to 2008, #9 The Golden Compass,#10 Grindhouse, #11 Bug, #12, Sunshine, #13 Southland Tales, #14 300, #15 Hot Fuzz, #16 Stardust, #17 The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, #18 Spider-Man 3, #19 Rendition, #20 The Bourne Ultimatum
Intro -films that didn't make the list

related Nicole Kidman
Moulin Rouge! -details of my neverending obsession * Actress of the Aughts -she's #1 * "We Are All Nicole Kidman" -a quiz * Nicole Kidman she's (almost) back *

tags: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Jeff Daniels, Nicole Kidman, movies, academy awards, oscars, screenplay

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is my #1 anticipated film of 2007.

The Squid and the Whale is brilliant and Noah Baumbach's writing style is so funny and heartbreaking at the same time. He's so talented.

So....

Nicole Kidman.

Noah Baumbach.

Jennifer Jason Leigh.

No way in hell I'll miss this. Bring on October!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm REALLY looking foward to this one.

And I just love the title of it. It's so UN-Hollywood. But the fact that it has Kidman in it and Baumbach writing and directing is more then enough to get my butt in the seat.

The release date is good too. Not too early, not too late.

Dave said...

I wasn't a big enthusiast of 'The Squid and the Whale'- I thought it was good, but for some reason it hasn't stuck in my head. This did make my own top ten most anticipated though. You only need to mention the name 'Jennifer Jason Leigh' and I'm there.

Glenn Dunks said...

I haven't actually seen The Squid and the Whale at all. Hmmph. Psuedo-intellectual talky movies about books and politics (which I got the impression that it was) don't really interest me. Maybe I'll try and check it out before this one because I will indeed seen it. Nicole Kidman and Jennifer Jason Leigh? I'm there

Anonymous said...

Ho-hum on Baumbach love. Was not a fan of The Squid and the Whale, though I agree heartily with the rest of you who thought Jeff Daniels and Linney were terrific. The film pretty much disintegrated as it went along. Let's hope Jennifer Jason Leigh isn't playing another rummy prostitute or junkie.

NATHANIEL R said...

Stump Girl,
welcome but I have to ask: what's a "rummy" prostitute?

Anonymous said...

It's the year of the Kidman comeback...

Anonymous said...

This is a very interesting choice for Nicole. She is my favorite actress and I was so happy to hear that she was going to be in a Noah Baumbach film. Yes the last few dramas she has made were the quiet type that crept up on you, but all people need to do is look back at To Die For to see that Kidman is brilliant at really dark comedy. It's just that she hasn't been in one since then (well, if you want to count Birthday Girl, you can).

I'm really looking foward to this one.

adam k. said...

Wow, anonymous with the tetas is really barking up the wrong tree. How funny.

In other news, I kind of preferred when this film was still called Green Mango. Now THAT is a cool title for a family drama.

Glenn Dunks said...

I assume a "rummy prostitute" just means one that likes to get drunk.

I ran my mouse of that "tetas" link and, judging from the URL it brought up, ...omg.

Here's hoping alongside this and The Golden Compass that The Invasion (or The Visitors, whatever it's going to be called) is also good.

Glenn Dunks said...

er, that last comment was about Nicole Kidman's films in 2007.

Billy McLellan said...

she looks like zellweger in the top pic

NATHANIEL R said...

Aaaaahhhh Billy: DON'T SAME THE NAME ALOUD!!!

NATHANIEL R said...

also it's so weird. the title In the Cut was evoked and Nick did not show up to comment. Someone check his pulse!

Jason Adams said...

Oh my god, he's right though! She does totally look like The Unspeakable Actress in that top picture!

Anonymous said...

"Margot at the Wedding" is a great title.

Anonymous said...

adam, I HATED the title Green Mango, just hated it. It doesn't go along with anything else Baumbach has done and Margot at the Wedding fits in with something titled The Squid and the Whale PERFECTLY. It's just not really something you would expect. Had this been called Green Mango all I would be able to think about is fruit.

But yeah, I can't wait to see this!

NATHANIEL R said...

gotta agree with Kathy hear. Green Mango just sounds so... i don't know awkward sundance comedy to me?

Anonymous said...

I luv the title Margot at the Wedding. Makes you think of the old Rohmer-style beach comedies. This will probably be deeper then that (more dramatic) but this will still have its hilariously honest moments like all the rest of Baumbach's films. Can't wait to see this one.

Anonymous said...

I love Noah Baumbach and Nicole Kidman so I'll have to see this one.

Anonymous said...

Kidman and Leigh are enough proof that I must see this.