Friday, August 24, 2007

Now Playing (08/24)

L I M I T E D
Closing Escrow comedy about real estate agents and home buying. Aren't there a million reality shows on TV now on the same topic?
<---
Dedication Billy Crudup is an eccentric children's book author (is there any other kind?) who has lost his illustrating partner (Tom Wilkinson). He resists the new artist in his life (Mandy Moore)...at first. Directed by Justin Theroux (mmm, Justin)
Deep Water a doc about an infamous boat race in '68
Eye of the Dolphin A young girl befriends a dolphin in the Bahamas. I think we're all asking the same question here: Do they play Olivia Newton-Johns' immortal "Promise (Dolphin Song)" on the soundtrack. If not, I'm boycotting
Hannah Takes the Stairs (love the title) a new entry in the growing "mumblecore" movement. Hannah has already won admirers in cinephile heavy corners of the blogosphere
The Hottest State Ethan Hawke directs Mark Webber, Catalina Sandino Moreno, Laura Linney, Sonia Braga, Michelle Willliams and himself in this romantic... dramedy?
Right at Your Door A terrorism thriller. It's using a comparison to 24 as a pull quote so, er, pass...

W I D E
Illegal Tender "always protect the family"
Mr Bean's Holiday I love him in shorts but I'm scared of feature length Bean
The Nanny Diaries our girl Scarjo takes on The Linney. Even if its bad, so what?
Resurrecting the Champ Josh Hartnett is now playing dads. I feel so old. In other news: Samuel L Jackson plays a homeless man called "The Champ" Life lessons / redemption sure to follow
September Dawn Jon Voight plays mormon prophet Brigham Young in this reenactment of the massacre of September 11th, 1857, which the movie posits as the first act of religous terrorism on US soil. I bet they aren't happy about this in Salt Lake
War Jet Li vs. Jason Statham. Why does it even need a trailer? or a title for that matter? Shouldn't "action star vs action star" be enough to get asses in seats?

I N _T H E A T E R S _ A N D _ R E V I E W E D
Death at a Funeral (pictured, right) this is my latest review in which I get frustrated with strenuous Brit comedy and do some hair pulling about distribution schedules for both Indie & Hollywood fare. Also: Becoming Jane, Hairspray, La Vie En Rose, Once, Ratatouille, Stardust, and Transformers

8 comments:

Jason Adams said...

That naked picture of Alan Tudyk is WAYYYYY too small!!!

NATHANIEL R said...

hee.

i tried. that's the size it came in.

Paxton Hernandez said...

Actually, the Bean movie isn't bad at all. Pretty smart in deed.

Give a try.

J.D. said...

I'm still surprised that Mr. Bean is as wide as it is. Or the fact they're trying to advertise it to children who don't know who he is.

Jason Adams said...

Cough bigger pic cough.

Anonymous said...

I can't be the only one who finds Rowan Atkinson pretty insufferable outside of 5 minute cameos...


And I don't know WHAT they're trying to do with the advertising for Resurrecting the Champ b/c half the trailers make it look like an inspirational drama and the other half make it look like a thriller in which a crazed Sam Jackson hunts down Josh Hartnett while Teri Hatcher says something ominous.

Anonymous said...

I just read your Funeral review/distribution rant and all I can say is: Spot on, Nat, absolutely spot on.

It's but one more piece of evidence that the studios have no idea what the heck they are doing anymore, and are operating on autopilot.

RedSatinDoll

Glenn Dunks said...

Well, Mr Bean's Holiday has already made nearly $200mil overseas so I don't think Uni care in the slightest if people find Rowan/Bean insufferable. They're rolling is cash.