Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What If You Do Great Work and Hollywood Doesn't Notice?

Hood-riding Death Proof amazon Zoë Bell, surprise badass Freddy Rodriguez (I did not see "El Ray" coming watching Six Feet Under, did you?), and syringe-wielding wide eyed Marley Shelton were the revelations of Grindhouse this past Spring. While it's true that the movie flopped it's also true that actors can ignite their careers by doing unarguably charismatic and scene-stealing work. Even in flops.

Zoë Bell is getting her shot with a project developed for her but what the hell is going on with Freddy & Marley? Freddy has only another ensemble role on the way. He'll be part of the Napa wine industry drama Bottle Shock. Marley, so completely attuned to Planet Terror's comic absurdity and giving the movie a couple of its very best moments. Where's the breakthrough? I sincerely hope this is a case of delayed career explosion. Maybe she's taking meetings every day in Hollywood... perhaps she's swimming in offers and I just don't know it. She has only one new film listed on IMDB and she was probably involved with that before Planet Terror premiered. Why isn't she being cast in everything? I demand an answer!

14 comments:

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

I don't often chime in with fangirl comments about actors, but--

OMG you are so totally right about Marley Shelton!

I happened to see Sugar & Spice in the theater (after Saving Silverman, in a weird double feature of mediocrity) and I have been a fan of Shelton's since. I think she's really underrated. In fact, her presence in the cast made me excited to see Planet Terror, and I was not disappointed.

She's got great energy. I feel like she could pull off Christopher Durang--she gets that satirical acting doesn't always mean winking at the camera.

Anonymous said...

You're right about Freddy and Marley. They were great. But the whole Grindhouse spectable was too crowded to remember them. Zoe Bell was the standout because, well, how many chicks tied to hoods, whilst going 100mph have you seen?

Anonymous said...

I was very surprised with the caliber of some of the acting in Grindhouse, esp. by the young actresses - Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Vanessa Ferlito, Zoe Bell, Jordan Ladd, Marley Shelton...

Most of these actresses are 'scream queens' and I would never have taken them seriously as actresses had I not seen this but I must say they are pretty talented!

I'm especially excited about Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Not only is she great in the film (in an underused role) but she's cute as a button too!

Anonymous said...

i'm assuming this ain't the entry for the bizarro blog-a-thon

Anonymous said...

Love me some Marley ever since 'Pleasantville.' Why has she languished in B- or C-movie hell for so long? Hmm...

Anonymous said...

Tarantino movies: haven of the actors who never get as good job as they should. (Yes, I know Planet terror isn't a Tarantino movie but...)

Anonymous said...

I totally fell for Marley after seen her in Sin City first scene ("the customer has always reason"). I hope too Grindhouse could be a delayed breakthrough for her. What a pity the movie didn't receive the success it deserved.

I wish the best to her, and also to Ferlito, Winstead and the rumored new Barbarella McGowan.

Mirko S.

Anonymous said...

Nathaniel,

I think that someone who is upstaged by Denise Richards in Valentine is gonna have a tough time being caste in everything

Just sayin'

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Anonymous said...

Freddy Rodriguez is joining "Ugly Betty" this season as Betty's new love interest. So that's where he'll be occupied for awhile at least.

Beau said...

Tv Hell.
Nice.

Anonymous said...

Ugly Betty rocks. Recognize.

This will at least give him some steady work that he hasn't really had since Six Feet Under. I don't blame him at all for taking the gig. Justina Machado (his TV wife on SFU) was on last season, and Rita Moreno. It's a potentially good place for him to be.

Glenn Dunks said...

I wish I could comment about the Grindhouse girls but neither of the movies that feature within have been released here. I have bullets waiting for the Weinsteins.

Annie the Superfast Reader said...

Thought you might like to know that Marley Shelton just got hit by a car after some truly awesome drunken dancing at a bonfire in a Lynda Carter movie on Lifetime Movie Network...