Friday, November 16, 2007

Now Playing: Margot Sans Tact, Beowulf Sans Penis


Margot at the Wedding -The further I get away from my initial screening the more annoyed I am by this movie's stumblings. However... I'm still crazy for Nicole Kidman's maddening tactless mean-drunk Margot. God bless Kidman for challenging herself so frequently. I wish more world famous actresses would (no names necessary but a lot of them, even ones I love, stay in their comfort zones)
Redacted -Brian DePalma's scathing divisive drama on American soldiers in Iraq. As a fan of The Black Dahlia last year and also a Carrie nut, I should probably see more DePalma movies --not as familiar with his filmography as I'd like to be. Maybe it was Mission to Mars (barf) that scared me off
Southland Tales -The uncategorizable Richard Kelly oddity is finally here

The must-see in limited release is still the Coen Bros No Country For Old Men (prev post) starring Tommy Lee Jones, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin. It added 120 theaters yesterday so keep an eye out. Maybe you'll get it soon. My prediction: this certain Oscar contender will amass the most top ten list citations of any film this year (with Ratatouille as a close rival)


Love in the Time of Cholera -Javier Bardem again. Busy man.
Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium -Commercials for this movie rot my teeth

Beowulf -My full review is up at Zoom-In and there's two previous posts about it if you scroll down. I'm anxious to hear your feedback. It's discussable, so chime in. Extra credit points to any film experiencers who send us photos of themselves wearing those 3D glasses! We'll make a collage.

16 comments:

par3182 said...

whenever is see the title mr magorium's wonder emporium all i can think of is troy mcclure's vanity project the contrabulous fabtraption of professor horatio hufnagel

i know which i'd prefer to see

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see No Country for Old Men.

Cinesnatch said...

Nate ~
May I recommend "Dressed to Kill"? It doesn't rival Carrie, but I am a fan of it, especially the first forty minutes. Seriously dark and fun. "Blow Out" with John Travolta is almost as good as "The Conversation." Also, I loved Sean Penn in "Carlito's Way." (which reminds me, is he going to play Harvey Milk or what?) There were things that were fun and crazy about "Body Double" too. But, if you choose any of these, please watch "Dressed to Kill." Nancy Allen, Angie Dickinson, Michael Caine are all great.

Avoid: Femme Fatale, Snake Eyes

Anonymous said...

Nic Kidman deserves to be nominated for everything. Brilliant, just brilliant. She even deserves to win. God, this woman will never cease to amaze me. And you would think she would slow down but NO she also has a great supp role in a big budget movie... and next year she has two extremely oscarbait roles.
And she still manages to have an incredible body at 40 (she always looks so toned)
Does she ever sleep ? is she human ?

Scott said...

Dressed to Kill - now that was indeed one fine movie (and yeah, Blow Out and Carlito's Way are good too).

Can't say the same about Beowulf. In terms of what you mentioned in your review - you are completely on target about the faces (and the Jolie exception), and while some of the animated work is indeed most impressive (and the dragon scene is a knock-out), I definitely got the feeling many of those around me were laughing at it, not really going along for the ride. Given the who's credited with writing it, I was expecting much more. There are some good moments here and there - but also plenty of moments that are dull, and plenty of moments that are embarrassing.

NicksFlickPicks said...

Southland Tales – for better and for worse, but mostly for "oh, I wanted this to be better" – is so completely all over the place, it makes me feel as organized as a fascist parade by comparison. And that is saying something.

adam k. said...

Nathaniel, The Host is on DVD. You have to see it.

John P. said...

Yeah, you should see Carlito's Way.

Also, if Snake Eyes is playing one night on basic cable, watch the first twenty or so minutes and then immediately turn it off.

Glenn Dunks said...

Yeah, the moment DePalma starts to edit Snake Eyes is the moment it turns into a heap of garbage. Femme Fatale on the other hand is entirely amazing. It entirely ridiculous and riffs off better movies with the same central idea, but it's so stylish and I had a hoot with it.

Catherine said...

Watching the trailer for "Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium" with my sister, she wonders aloud: "Why is Natalie Portman playing a nine year old boy?"

Boyd said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boyd said...

Vinci -

Gus van Sant's Harvey Milk biopic has just been confirmed by Focus as going into production. Now that is a movie I want to see!

Anonymous said...

THE READER
AUSTRALIA
THE GOLDEN COMPASS
MARGOT AT THE WEDDING
BIRTH
COLD MOUNTAIN
DOGVILLE
THE HOURS
THE OTHERS
MOULIN ROUGE

Does any other actress has such a resume this century ?
ACTRESS OF THE DECADE !!!!

Ric said...

I would say Meryl Streep has a rather impressive resume ... so, too, she has been at the job a little longer!!

Anonymous said...

i can never get enough of nicole kidman...

Sam said...

I saw Beowulf this weekend and, frankly, I found it dumb and gross. I can't believe I paid money for it. Sure, I can appreciate the technical achievements, and the many ways to hide Ray Winstone's phallus (although the Simpsons Movie did it better with Bart's naked skateboarding). The dragon fight scene was exciting and well done, but overall I was bored. Maybe I'm too old for it, and by that I mean over 12. I also thought the PG13 rating was really pushing it. The theater was full of pubescent boys whose heads are now full of hot bodies and extreme violence. Yuck.