Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Detour, Links Ahead

Nick's Flick Picks remembers moviegoing experiences this decade. A great angle on a 'decade in review', and as beautifully written as you'd expect
Dear Jesus appreciates the kids movies that weren't really for kids in 2009: Mary & Max, Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Film Doctor reasons why Fantastic Mr Fox is the coolest film


The Advocate famous TV mom Meredith Baxter (Family Ties) comes out
The Wrap on Invictus and The Lovely Bones
GreenCine Daily Overheard at the Gotham Awards
Cinema Styles has a wonderfully heartfelt piece on Boris Karloff and changing taste in actors as you age
Filmbo Judy Garland time. Wish I'd written this: "Is there no one running a marathon of her show today? What a waste of a TV schedule."
MNPP remembers comeback-man Woody Harrelson in Indecent Proposal. Going back to the roots are we? Well, I suppose that's cheers but he didn't enjoy frottage with Demi Moore on Cheers now did he?

Sam Neill recreates his Jurassic 90s heyday

Empire Magazine 20th Anniversary Photo Gallery (which maybe came out months ago but which I'm just now noticing... I'm not a regular reader) is very guy-film-only mainstream. Actors (no actresses -- unless they're with the actors) recreate their iconic roles. With 20 years of cinema to play with though it's kind of a shame that the net wasn't a bit wider. Would have been fun to see Thelma & Louise again or Julia redoing Pretty Woman or Linda Hamilton with Schwarzenegger in the Terminator pics but what is featured is super fun.
Sunset Gun remembers Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
IonCinema speculates about the Sundance lineup
/Film Robert Duvall as Don Quixote?
Towleroad Glee's Chris Golfer gives funny interview
MTV I hesitate to link to this article on The Twilight Saga: Eclipse because I think the writer must have been on some sort of drugs while typing it out. But it's so weird I must. It basically asks (without irony) what the franchise could do to widen its audience. Dear god... it's not popular enough?!? These are not struggling limited release art films, crazy-person-who-wrote-this!

And in case you haven't seen this web goodie "Hollywood Vs. New York"

11 comments:

RJ said...

Nathaniel, have you ever seen Targets with Karloff? I'd be interested to hear your opinion. It's one of my favorites.

I SWEAR those Empire pictures were available in June, but they're just now popping up everywhere. Just one of those bizarre things.

BrianZ said...

Love those Empire photos.

Michael B. said...

Steve Pond and I have the same views on The Lovely Bones. I thought it was a good movie, but it is really a mess. A brilliant one.

I hope Saorise Ronan and Tucci get nominated. Surprisingly Wahlberg wasn't bad at all (so glad they re-casted Gosling. He would have been awful in that role) but he shouldn't be considered.

I'm seeing it again Tuesday night and I can't wait to see how I feel about it on a re-watch. Right now the film is on the bottom of my Top 10. Like #8 or 9.

The Film Doctor said...

Nathaniel,

Thanks for the link! I also liked those Empire photos and Sunset Gun's excellent post about Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf.

Mickche said...

hey Nat,
i noticed you've rated Mary & Max. What were your thoughts on the film?

amir_uk said...

What a wonderful series of links, Nathaniel. I just had to show much appreciation...

Especially the GreenCine Daily overheard at the Gotham quotes; Nick's Flick Picks's unique and beautifully written memories of a early-decade cinemagoing; and The Film Doctor's elegant, minute readings of Fantastic Mr. Fox which have made me love even more a film I already loved lots.

Andrew David said...

Aaaha, that article on Twilight is nothing. I once read a dead-serious discussion on why Twilight got no major Oscar nominations. The verdict was that the Oscars tended only to notice the big mainstream films and Twilight was too small and difficult for the Oscars.

Lena said...

I think you hit the wrong for first letter for Chris Colfer (instead of Golfter) but it's a great article. I wish I had time to keep up with Glee.

Unknown said...

I'm with Dear Jesus. For me, the most impressive films this year have been "children's" films. I have a couple things left to see, but my lineup currently looks like:

Fantastic Mr. Fox
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Hurt Locker
Up
Where the Wild Things Are

Interesting. And just to give these nominations some context, and so you all know I'm not just crazy for these films in general, my best picture lineup from 2008:

Hunger
Savage Grace
Trouble the Water
WALL-E
The Wrestler

NicksFlickPicks said...

Thanks, Nathaniel, and thanks, Amir!

whitney said...

Thanks for the link! Films this year are really getting to me...like, I'm getting all emotional and shit. I think part of that is the appeal to the kid in me and the adult trying to show herself occasionally.