Sunday, August 28, 2005

Oscar: Where We Stand Now (The Epilogue)

So... that was fun. To round up ~Those actors who are most likely to end up filling the annual early bird slots:
Actor: Ralph Fiennes, The Constant Gardener
Actress: Joan Allen, The Upside of Anger
Supporting Actor Matt Dillon, Crash& Paul Giamatti, Cinderella Man
Supporting Actress: Thandie Newton, Crash

I suppose you know what this mean. The films are also (outside of The Upside of Anger) in play, too. How can they not be? Every year some of the year-end films do not justify their early Oscar hype. And that makes room for the early birds if they can muster new momentum.

Other possible early bird nominees?
Picture: Crash or The Constant Gardener if the campaigns are strong, smart, well timed. And, perhaps most importantly, if their fans rally.
Director: Fernando Meirelles if the directors were made devout fans byCity of God
Screenplay: Crash and to a lesser extent Broken Flowers
Editing: Crash multi narratives have noticeable editing and they like to see the seams
Costume Design: Cinderella Man Daniel Orlandi is a rising talent. Some day he'll be a nominee. And on account of you never know in this category there's also The Brothers Grimm and Kingdom of Heaven -showy work by former nominees...
Visual Effects, Sound, Sound f/x: War of the Worlds and SW Episode 3
Animated Film: Madagascar
Score or Song: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory if they are in a Danny Elfman mood.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does Miyazaki's Howls Moving Castle have a chance it they have 5 nominees?

I don't think I ever read anything about it after opening weekend. Sad.

I'll be happy is Crash scores somewhere.

-Glenn

Kris said...

I think Pescucci obviously has a better shot with the critical and box office hit Charlie and the Chocolate Factory over The Brothers Grimm.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I think Charlie could score multiple tech nods. Art Direction, Costume Design and Score possibly.

Cinderella Man could also get Thomas Newman ANOTHER nomination (and win? He hasn't won yet).

-Glenn

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I don't know where else to post this and I can't be bothered sending an e-mail.

Your 1985 retrospective was great!

It's definitely given me a few titles I'm interested to look at. Particularly Dance With A Strange (beautiful poster), Purple Rose of Ciaro, Out Of Africa and Kiss Of The Spiderwoman.

You do NOT have to appologise about your love for The Breakfast Club. It IS a classic. It's in my Top 20 of all time! I love it to pieces. That scene where they all just let everything out gets me everytime. I'd nominate Hughes for Director over Tim Burton.

What's up with Meryl Streep's face on the poster of Plenty?

Interesting to see you're not a fan of Brazil. I'm not a Gilliam fan but for reason I thought you were.

Man, The Goonies 'r great!

Not a fan of Cher's Mask performance?

that's all I can think of about that right now.

-Glenn

Kris said...

Oh my. I somehow expected nat's brow to be too high to love The Breakfast Club. Glad I'm wrong.

I LOVE it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful and informative web site.I used information from that site its great.
wheelchair wheelchair christian rehab drug rehab d weatherstrip kit for 1957 buick awnings nj seroquel liquid