Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hump Day Hottie: Hugh Jackman

I am totally sick right now so I need something yummy to look at. Sitting at the computer is a chore when you have a fever but I'm distracting myself with pics of Hugh Jackman. Rowrrr. I'm imagining him dabbing my forehead with wet cloth to comfort me, singing to me with that sensational voice to entertain me, doing a Wolverine berzerker imitation (naked of course) just to amuse me. He's a mighty, manly, and sensitive man this Aussie star.

There was a period of time there when he was delighting Broadway audiences for a whole year instead of making movies (something stars almost never do) and scaring his agent in the process. But he's back to the screen with a vengeance. Scarlett Johansson is not the only 2006 overachiever. You can see Hugh Jackman romancing her in theaters right now in Scoop (which I still haven't seen. Bad me). You probably already saw his third pass at Wolverine in X-Men: The Last Stand. This fall he's starring in what are arguably two of the very coolest of all 2006 releases. He headlines The Fountain (trailer) with Rachel Weisz and gets combative with Christian Bale in The Prestige (trailer). This should be the year wherein he leaves superhero movies behind.

Aside from his quadruple movie attack, he's also making news this week with the announcement that he'll be starring in a new film version of the classic musical Carousel. This is covered at Cinematical (in a sweet way) and Defamer (in a funny but kinda fagbashing way). But it's cool to read both posts back to back to illustrate the landmines that come with making movie musicals. Some of the greatest movies of all time belong to the genre and exceedingly masculine stars like Gene Kelly (and now Jackman) have set up shop there, too. But there will always be people who make fun of the musical theater and its connotative relationship with homosexuality. People are small-minded like that. There was even a time frame when gossip was circling that Jackman didn't get the James Bond role because he wasn't masculine enough.

This man.



Dumb right? But you can't win them all. I should note though that the Defamer article does relay a complete truth about musical theater devotion --some people just have it in their blood with no interest in dismissing it. Thankfully for those of us who enjoy both the godlike Hugh Jackman and the musical theater itself, it's a beautiful match.

Enjoy every last moment of the International Jackman Film Festival of 2006 at theaters near you all freaking year long.


Previously on "Hump Day Hotties"
Uma Thurman -tall beautiful orgasmic Cheyenne Jackson -extreme stage hottie crossing over to film. HDH Season One - Jake Gyllenhaal, Lady Tottington, and more...

tags:
Hugh Jackman, movies, film, Scarlett Johansson, Broadway, musicals

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugh can totally take the place that Mel Gibson will soon be forced to vacate.

adam k. said...

Amen to that.

Scoop is not nearly as bad as has been charged. At least I didn't think so. Doesn't break any new ground for Allen, but is entertaining enough. Plus Jackman is shirtless in it.

Derek said...

Hugh's DEFINITELY in my top 5 celebrity hotties. I'd do anything :)

Yaseen Ali said...

Glenn's going to be very happy with this post.

Anonymous said...

you're sick alot Nat, are you ok??

Anonymous said...

Here I was concerned I would be bored when it was announced that this week was Scarlett Johansson week! Thanks for the Hugh review. And Adam, confirmation that Hugh goes shirtless in Scoop has scuttled any ambivalence I have about seeing that movie. Should there be a movie that *doesn't* have a shirtless Hugh? I think not.

Glenn Dunks said...

Lol Ali, I did go on a mini-Hugh Jackman storm in these last two days at my blog. He's everywhere and I'm certainly happy bout that!

They're planning The Boy From Oz as a movie musical also, just fyi.

While the prospect of Carousel doesn't excite me as much as it should, I'll take Hughey boy any day of the week over many others male actors.

Adam, you should know by now that Jackman is, essentially, shirtless in every single movie he makes. And let's keep it that way, shall we?

NATHANIEL R said...

anonymous --i'm OK. I think it's my new job. it's like sub zero air conditioning (coldest office i've ever worked in) mixed with 110 degree NYC weather. or something. but yeah, this summer has been rough on me for some reason.

Glenn Dunks said...

I wish we would get a heat wave here. It's bloody cold as... i dunno, something really cold. I wore five layers yesterday! Plus a scarf and beanie. And then in rained lots and I died and it wasn't fun.

NATHANIEL R said...

omg glenn. i'm so sorry for your death. please take better care of yourself in the afterlife.

Glenn Dunks said...

It's treating me well so far! The temperature is always perfect!

Anonymous said...

He so very very hot man his body is very strong he is a best actor .