Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Kings of Comedy

Oh No They Didn't has a fun collection of posters/images of the films named 'the 50 greatest comedies of all time' by Premiere magazine.

Good things: Anything that attracts attention to the exhausting wonders of 30s screwball comedies like The Awful Truth and My Man Godfrey fine by me. (If you haven't seen either of those, please drop everything else and do so--no more new movies for you til it's done.) I was also surprised but delighted to see The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (which I wrote about here) on the list.

Bad things: Only two Woody Allens and only one directed by Christopher Guest (and it ain't Guffman grrrr.) Also no Fargo. What up with the modern choices like Zoolander making it in. I ain't gonna lie, I thought it was funny. But a "great" --one of the 50 greatest of all time?-- please.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"What´s up doc?" is not in the list!!!! shame!

RC said...

no joke on zoolander...

what they thinkin'

RC said...

i was glad to see duck soup, the general, the apartment, and actually, groundhogs day.

--RC of strangeculture.blogspot.com

Glenn Dunks said...

I hated Zoolander so that's baffling to me. While I liked Wedding Crashers also, I can't say that's one of the 50 funniest. 40-Year-Old Virgin I can agree with.

Showgirls shoulda totally have been on there.

Pedro said...

I am glad that Some Like It Hot is in the list. It is my favorite comedy of all time, and one of my favorite movies.

Shame they did not include The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

(Kidding)

Glenn Dunks said...

Post 1980 comedies that they could've included and wouldn't have been shamed for:

Educating Rita (1983)
Clue (1985)
Ruthless People (1986)
Naked Gun (1988)
Parenthood (1989)
Clueless (1995)
The Castle (1997)
Romy & Michelle (1997)
Office Space (1999)

and while I know some people hate these titles, I get lots of laughs out of them everytime.

The Birdcage (1996)
Legally Blonde (2001)
Freaky Friday (2003)

And while I'm personally not a fan, I was extremely surprised to not see any Jacques Tati on there.

Thank god they didn't put Napoleon Dynamite on there though!

...anyway.