Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Company

Give or take fears about what whimsy-loving Tim Burton is going to do to the horror/comedy/thriller/musical masterpiece that is Sweeney Todd next year, the past few years have been kind to Stephen Sondheim fanatics like myself. We've had his fun cameo in Camp, that awesome day-long 75th birthday celebration at Symphony Space, and last season brought us John Doyle's revelatory rethink of Sweeney Todd. And now... "phone rings, door chimes, here comes Company"

Company, Sondheim's brilliant exploration of marriage and commitment, was a hit in it's original run in 1970 but today it doesn't enjoy the high profile of a Sweeney Todd or an Into the Woods. But, should you find yourself in the New York area, you should see it. Whatever its flaws (and great Sondheim is, I suspect, as difficult to pull off as great Shakespeare --no production ever seems as brilliant as the piece itself) the revival of Company is a treat.

My Broadway honey Raul Esparza, miscast in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang two seasons back, has the lead role of "Bobby" and milks it, some would say drains it dry, for maximum "worship me!" applause. But it's the female supporting players who have those plum TONY nominatable showstoppers like "Getting Married Today" and "The Ladies Who Lunch"

Company opens tonight at the Ethel Barrymore theater on 47th Street here in NYC.

4 comments:

DL said...

Alana Allen and especially Anna Kendrick's rendition of "The Ladies Who Lunch" in Camp is one of my very favourite musical moments in a movie. But I've unfortunately never had the opportunity to see Company on stage.

NATHANIEL R said...

yeah that was a great great moment. I wonder what happened to her. such a funny performance

Glenn Dunks said...

I hated Camp. What a stupid, stupid movie.

Andy Scott said...

I'm itching to see a show before Christmas. Right now I'm leaning toward Grey Gardens, but it's hard to resist Raul Esparza. What a cutie.