Friday, November 10, 2006

Lotta Linkage

nicole
Daily Gut Kidman's FIVE TIPS to finding Mr. Right
The Evening Class an interview with Steven Shainberg on Fur. Interesting stuff.

not nicole
popbytes The BENING gets her star on walk o fame! I'll make a pilgrimage.
Defamer Lynch fycs Laura Dern in Ingland Empire
Cinematical on a new fantasy franchise. I've read some Xanth --bad idea.
Backstage on a French adaptation of Persepolis, the graphic novel with the voices of Catherine Deneuve! and Gena Rowlands!
ModFab finally gets tagged for my movie meme. I'm so proud of it! such interesting responses everywhere. I hope it continues to spread like a happy non-fatal plague...

group discussion!

Zoom In asks "what's the best coming of age movie?" --go on over there to discuss. Off the top of my head I'm gonna go with votes for Breakfast Club on account of I was obsessed in high school and considered it perfect and TRUE back in 1985! Y Tu Mama Tambien because I find it magical and also sad in an adult beyond all this way -- the coda wipes me out. And finally I have to bow down to Reality Bites which is highly underappreciated and which expertly captures the post-college limbo years of "what now?"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Satrapi's graphic novels are brilliant. If you haven't already read them, head thee to a library (or bookstore) now. And Ms. Deneuve? God, I'm so there.

Anonymous said...

And mind you, I'm no NOT the graphic novel audience. But it's really good. Spiegelman good.

Scott said...

Yeah, Persepolis is great.

Is Reality Bites really your favorite post-college limbo movie? I greatly prefer Kicking and Screaming - I think it's both funnier and nails the displaced feelings better.

adam k. said...

In terms of gay coming-of-age movies, Edge of Seventeen is hard to beat.

But the ones you mentioned are great, too.

Glenn Dunks said...

The Breakfast Club is a perfect movie no matter what age you are because unless you're under 15, you've been through school and everyone can relate to it.

Javier Aldabalde said...

"If you want to see the best performance of 2006... watch Laura Dern in "Inland Empire""

LOL, I can't get over that!

Glenn Dunks said...

I'm even more excited about Inland Empire now, and I didn't think that was possible.