Friday, November 24, 2006

Happy Birthday Toulouse!

Today woulda been the 142nd birthday of the legendary French impressionist Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec if he hadn't been downing all that absinthe and booze in epic proportions. Or you know, whoring it up in the syphilis plagued brothels. Anyway, I only post this because I'm feeling guilty that I still haven't finished my mammoth Moulin Rouge! piece. I promise a new installment in December. Just wanted you to know that I haven't forgotten it.

If you are cursing my name right now, all eager for the rest of that, try this Toulouse-centric Moulin Rouge! post from Andy Horbal to give you a fix. A happy coincidence: It's all about the very scene that I ended my coverage with.

And since I'm in a Bazzy mood, here are two Moulin Rouge! edits courtesy of YouTube: The "Come What May" music video and a little behind the scenes goofing from Bazmark and Fox with Ewan McGregor doing "research" and Richard Roxburgh and John Leguizamo spending time with the green fairy.




Tags: Moulin Rouge, , , Ewan McGregor, cinema, DVD, moviemusicals

4 comments:

Craig Hickman said...

Huh?

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, technically he's a post-impressionist. And the pedantic art historian will sign off now...

Anonymous said...

Two things, one on topic, the other off:

1. Still pissed the Academy declared "Come What May" ineligible. What a beautiful song. And watching that video made me reconsider leaving Ewan off my own Best Actor roster that year. Still, it'll probably remain unchanged, since I can't imagine who I'd take off. What a ridiculously rich year for film. Honestly, the bottom half of my Top Ten for that year would probably beat out any of the movies I've seen in 2006.

2. I just got in from seeing The Fountain. I'm curious as to what your reaction will be. I'm still working out my own feelings about it, but I'm leaning heavily towards love. I get the impression it's the kind of thing that should be felt and perceived (hence all the pretty images and sounds) rather than understood or overanalyzed (hence the lack of coherence, which I'm thinking at this point is a good thing - to explain all the metaphysics involved would render the entire thing idiotic, I think).

adam k. said...

Yeah, I too am REALLY curious about your reaction to The Fountain. I just saw it the other night, too, and am having trouble forming my own opinion of it without your help. Please help! I need to see it again, in any case. I really don't know how I feel.

And I too am long for 2001. Literally more than 5 films worthy of WINNING best picture of the year. So ridiculous.