Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Action Hero Heroine: A New Blog-a-Thon

UPDATE: THIS BLOG-A-THON IS HERE

Lara Croft. Cleopatra Jones. Lt Ellen Ripley.
Female Convict Scorpion. Jodie Foster (trapped in small spaces).
The Bride. Bond Girls. Buffy Summers. Flying Snow. Sarah Connor.

Let's honor the amazons of the cinema (& tv) on Tuesday, June 12th!

By June we'll be in the thick sweaty middle of the summer movie season. The spring success of the über muscled 300 is behind us but there's more testosterone to come. This summer @ the movies will be a man's (and boy's) world with Transformers, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Live Free or Die Hard and Harry Potter all around us in the hot months.


Let's shake up the summer with a few powerful women. Just write about any woman or women in the action genre (or in a non-action genre who gets a lot of action --not in that way you perv) ...heroines, villains, or depressingly underutilized girlfriends -- and I'll link you up on June 12th. Let me know if you want to participate and I'll send a reminder as the day approaches. That's two months away but I didn't want to step on any existing toes (full schedule of upcoming 'thons).

  • Q: Are there too many blog-a-thons?
    A: Maybe but nobody makes anyone participate or read.
  • Q: So why are you adding to that list?
    A: I had a ton of fun hosting the well attended Michelle Pfeiffer and cinematic bloodsucker celebrations. Time for me to throw another party.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I AM THERE!

J.D. said...

I call dibs on my wife. As her resume.

Now, of only you had a traditional heroine one, then I'd be Sophie Scholl all the way!!

Michael Parsons said...

So many to choose from, yet how to choose one that no one else will. Difficult task, but I am up for the challenge.

NATHANIEL R said...

well... these things have a way of working themselves out. notice the vampire blog-a-thon (biggest ever) with 50+ entries had some overlap but the overlap still gave you different perspectives.

i've already heard one great dibs in an e-mail that hadn't even occurred to me. it's a wide topic.

DL said...

Count me in too!

And on an unrelated note, have you seen the poster for Evening yet? Because Vanessa Redgrave's name is listed underneath Claire Danes and Toni Collette. So I'm thinking this means Redgrave will be supporting and Danes lead?

adam k. said...

Is 300 really that bad? Should I not even see it? If it's a waste of money, then I don't wanna waste my money.

Still excited for The Host, though.

NATHANIEL R said...

adam --300 is one of those movies that's almost so bad that it's great and lots of people love it so i wouldn't necessarily suggest you trust my reaction.

but it's one of the dumbest things i've ever seen.

Lucas Dantas said...

count me in too!! i'm excited about this one and if nothing changes till then i already know my muse.

and yeah nat, i had a blast when i watched 300. the thing was so dumb that i just decided to lighten up and have my laughs. and i usually like rodrigo santoro, but he was horrible in it!

Glenn Dunks said...

Some of the guys in 300 have bigger breasts then many females so they should be acceptable here too!

:P

Reel Fanatic said...

Count me in, but I'll definitely need a reminder as the day approaches .. definitely a great subject to gab about

NATHANIEL R said...

Reel F --can you shoot me an email. I don't have your e-mail address and i'd need it to send a reminder.

thanks

Damian Arlyn said...

I think I'd like to participate (I even already have an idea about which "kick-ass" female character to write about), but I may be busy at that time gearing up for my own soon-to-follow Filmmusic blog-a-thon. Nonetheless, if you'd be willing remind me as we get closer to it, it sounds like a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

can a fotolog participate?

Matt Zoller Seitz said...

I'll definitely try to participate in this. Here's hoping it doesn't turn out to be 65 essays about Sigourney Weaver in "Aliens."

Matt Zoller Seitz said...

Also, I'm going to try try like hell to make it to your play.

Congratulations!