Friday, April 06, 2007

Now Playing (04/06)

Because it's a holiday weekend some of these have already opened.

Limited
The TV Set Sigourney Weaver returns. This is the first of her 3 films this year (yay!) and she is said to be in top comic form as a television executive in this this film about the chaos of pilot season in Los Angeles.
Black Book Dutch provocateur Paul Verhoeven, he of abundant stylish raunch (The Fourth Man) and movies so terrible they fold over into utter brilliance (Showgirls) or at least attempt to (Basic Instinct) tries a WWII epic on for size.
The Hoax Richard Gere pretends to be Howard Hughes in this film directed by Mr. Lena Olin
Whole New Thing a gay coming of age comedy from Canada. (only NYC)

Wide
Grindhouse What is there to say that we didn't already repeat endlessly -- "Rose McGowan has a machine gun for a leg" -- You've already bought your ticket.
The Reaping The plot of this movie confuses me. There might be demonic anti-christ driven biblical plagues happening in the swamps so they send Beelzebub of all people to investigate? Isn't that like fighting fire with gasoline? Luv the poster though.
Are We Done Yet? Now we are, yes.


Enjoy your holiday weekend

8 comments:

Marius said...

Oh, you really hate Hilary. It’s quite amusing. I think I may watch The Reaping. It looks interesting. And, of course I’m going to watch Grindhouse. I just don’t think I’ll be able to handle all the gore, but I’ll try my best.

Glenn Dunks said...

Richard Gere actually plays a man who claimed to have Howard Hughes' autobiography when it was in fact a fictional book. I believe. I may be wrong, but I know he definitely doesn't pull a Melvin & Howard.

And, yeah, Grindhouse... it's out here at the end of May, but next Thursday we get Sunshine so that sort of makes up for it. Sort of.

Mob said...

I don't have anything against Swank herself, but that damned film has been pushed back for the better part of a year, so I don't think that bodes well for it not being a total piece of shit, y'know?

Neel Mehta said...

Hail Sigourney Weaver! Her role in Working Girl would be great for a Monday monologue. I've used some of her shorter quotes over at Brevity, if you feel so inclined.

par3182 said...

shouldn't that be ROSE MCGOWAN HAS A MACHINE GUN FOR A LEG?

yay for the reurn of sigourney; i hope her tv exec is up there with katherine parker ("i am, after all, me")

Anonymous said...

I just came back of watching THE REAPING... it was the only thing I was on time for and it's not THAT BAD... but still it's so so.

Anonymous said...

What would happen if Swank and Zellweger acted in a film directed by Clint Eastwood? Would Nathaniel implode?

J.D. said...

" What would happen if Swank and Zellweger acted in a film directed by Clint Eastwood? Would Nathaniel implode? "

He could. But I think if Julianne Moore and Michelle Pfeiffer were added to the cast list, he just might hang himself.

And saw The Reaping last night -- I thought it was great. Excellent horror ediing, and AnnaSophia Robb scared me more than Dakota Fanning. [shudders and screams]