Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Hump Day Hottie: Jamie Bell


Teehee, hush you! Y'all knew I was gonna do this. It is my honour to present this week's hump day hottie to you guys and considering Nat has already given the hump day hottie title to my other obsession I figured why not. Plus, I'm going through a big Jamie phase right now. What with his leaving me MySpace messages and all (it's really him!) and the recent news that he's gonna get buck naked on stage (I'm thinking of having a fundraiser to get me to London so I can see Equus with Jamie. Any takers?)

Jamie is one of the crop of twentysomethings (he turned 21 exactly five months and one day after ME!, just recently) who seem to be bypassing the typical path to fame and are instead making their waves in the indie world (others would be Ryan Gosling and previous hump day hottie Joseph Gordon-Levitt) while also occasionally taking up a larger-scale picture. In between bouts if Lars Von Trier-written pacifism in Dear Wendy and drug-induced waking comas in The Chumscrubber Jamie is fighting alongside Ryan Phillippe in Clint Eastwood's Flags of Our Fathers and being one of the many pointless (but it's alright cause it's my Jamie) side characters of Peter Jackson's King Kong.

Of course, y'all know him mostly as dancer boy Billy Elliot in, er, Billy Elliot. And while he was absolutely smashing in that, there's also great work in David Gordon Green's Undertow and the before-mentioned Dear Wendy to prove that he's got the goods to continue on his merry eccentric way for years to come. He's apparently "revelatory" (who knows who said that though) in the upcoming Hallam Foe which competed at Berlinale, and he's finished filming the Doug Liman sci-fi adventure Jumper. Let's just say I'll be well-occupied with all things Jamie in the future (plus, I'm totally in his Top Friends on MySpace!)


For more on Jamie you can click on over to Stale Popcorn (there's more that I just haven't labeled yet, it's so time consuming) because as much as Nat is a fan he's not exactly frothing at the mouth like moi.

13 comments:

The Chemistry Guru said...

Great choice for HDH. Been a fan myself since Billy Elliot.. also adapted for the stage in the wake of its big screen success.

Never got the Eqqus-Radcliffe hype, but now that the leading man's been upgraded I too would be headed for the West-End (no fundraiser required).

adam k. said...

Well, I have an idea as to how to get you less apathetic about my totally pointless and shallow "Who's cuter?" series...

It's definitely Jamie leaving you messages? How do you know for sure now?

And why did Radcliffe drop out of Equus anyway? Scheduling conflicts with Potter? I myself might give you like $20 to go to London, but I don't think that'd get you there... plus, I wanna go too.

Anonymous said...

It's looking like this revival of Equus will be propped up by one British child actor desperate to make a splash in an adult role after the other. If that trend continues, can it be Nicholas Hoult's turn next? That kid turned out extremely well and I can't look at About a Boy the same way anymore.

Jamie Bell is cute, but I recall the guy who played the grown-up Billy Elliot in the movie being especially hot.

Anonymous said...

You have good taste. I know Jamie well, and he is smart, funny and kind as well as just plain charming and a kick to be around.
I don't see him sending myspace messages, but I can tip you a question to ask him that would prove if it is him.

adam k. said...

Whoa, Nic Hoult did grow into quite the hottie... and he's not even legal yet! How dirty.

Anonymous said...

Ever since I ran across your multipla fanatic posting about this guy...I've been obsessed. What a beast.

Beau said...

I'd see Equus with either of them, but I was incredibly intrigued by seeing Radcliffe in the role. It's going to New York later on in the year, will Radcliffe or Bell follow?

SusanP said...

Yeah, I have the same question as Adam, have you confirmed your myspace friend is Jamie.

He is a cutie. I feel like a dirty old lady for saying that. :D

Anonymous said...

Well I actually have seen Equus with Daniel Radcliffe and I liked it but I think I would like it even more with Bell on that role.

Mark

NicksFlickPicks said...

I agree that Jamie Bell was great in Undertow; in fact, I always think he's pretty great, even though I was a big Billy Elliot detractor in every other way.

Glenn Dunks said...

No I haven't confirmed that it's him but I've said before that fake celebrity pages are usually full of publicity photos and such, whereas Jamie's has quite personal and, yes, some unflattering drunk ones. And the writing on there sounds like him and such. I choose to be optimistic on the matter until someone proves otherwise.

Adam, I do believe it's got to do with scheduling contracts. The HP movies are pretty frequent so it's not that surprising.

Steven said...

Ah, marvelous choice. Jamie Bell is great. Billy Elliot gets me every time. And I'd love to see him in Equus. He'd be fantastic.

I believe Equus is coming to Broadway in 2008 to accommodate Radcliffe's schedule. I think...

~Steven

Anonymous said...

to tell the truth radcliffe isn't that good looking.... bell is much better in equus