Tuesday, July 01, 2008

LINK•E

E!Online Angelina Jolie's 9 best body parts. Ass doesn't make the list but when I saw Wanted a row of three fanboy geeks shouted "YES!" @ the top of their lungs when it made its brief cameo
Just Jared she may have just given birth
12 Grand in Checking NYC + Movies (blog-a-thon)
Antagony & Ecstacy doesn't want Wanted
Defamer bizarre rumors about Oliver Stone's W.
TBATU more Oscar talk for Heath Ledger's Joker. Can this movie just come out already before it hypes me to death? I feel bludgeoned
Bauer Griffin Ian McKellen's got a new boytoy. Hmmm, Gandalf definitely has a type --this one being similar to the arm candy he took to the Oscars in '01
i09 has questions about the forthcoming Ant-Man movie. My question is this: Ant-Man (?!?) gets his own movie but we're still not getting any female hero movies greenlit? How long before the studios realize that Elektra and Catwoman failed spectacularly because they were spectacular failures in just about every sense of the word. I think the Alien franchise and Kill Bill and Wanted should prove that audiences like female action stars, too. The movies just have to be good or fun or satisfying in the plain old time-tested normal ways that everybody expects them to be. Imagine that. Argh!

I Y WALL•E
babblebook a totally adorable post on this robot romance
NY Post Fatties find WALL•E offensive. Have you been following this plump drama?
Awards Daily EVE got knocked up, you know

The Big Picture A big piece on John Lasseter and Pixar's everlasting winning streak. How ever do they do it? The piece isn't about the Oscars but the quotes from other studios, sound a bit peeved. I know people have been talking about a Best Picture nomination for WALL•E but I'm betting the Green factor (Jealousy not Environmentalism) will hurt in the long run

9 comments:

RahulB said...

I can't stop thinking about Wall-E.

I saw it twice this past weekend and I teared up both times. Plus, I just loved the end credits, which followed the growth of humanity's second try on Earth shown through classic artwork: cave drawings to ancient Egyptian/Greek/Roman to Impressionism...it was such a brilliant end.

Anonymous said...

I caught the movie last night and am totally considering a second viewing. Is this -- officially -- the first post-apocalyptical mainstream animated film? I think it may be.

Anonymous said...

I know people say that Pixar's quality is higher than any other movie studios, but when they only make one film a year, that's not exactly a hard feat.

adam k. said...

When you said "green factor" I really assumed you meant MONEY. I think eventually the oscars will have to give it up for Pixar in best pic - how many animated feature trophies can they win before it becomes passé? - and this year seems as good a time as any.

But, like Ratatouille, this one is looking a little bit less robust in the box office department. As the budgets get bigger, the takes seem less and less impressive by comparison. Hopefully it has legs, and can at least get to $200 mill, so as to avoid talk of "flopping."

At least this one has abundant toy/fast-food tie-in opportunities. But why aren't more people talking about how it only made $60 mill on a $180 mill budget? I was one of those who thought all the "flop" talk with the rat movie was overblown, but this time, no one seems to be mentioning that, which I find curious. Is it cause it was competing with Wanted, which obviously did well?

I hope it can at least win best score for Thomas Newman FINALLY.

adam k. said...

Alright, well I guess WALL-E's opening is significantly better than Ratatouille's, but its budget's higher, too. It had a comparable opening to Monster's Inc., which went on to make $250 mill, so maybe I'm getting my knickers in a twist for nothing. I guess Pixar flicks tend to have better legs than average, in general.

Nate Tyson said...

re: the jack's comment

I don't buy that argument at all. A great film is a great film. Creativity is not something that needs to be sacrificed for sheer numbers.

Quality over quantity.

Janice said...

Nat, I haven't seen Wall-e yet, but I'm offended by the use of the term "fatties", and I'm quite slender myself. (It reminds me of those gay male personal ads I used to see in the papers and college"no fats, no femmes".)

Then again, I assume that your recommendation that we all go to Iron Man is not aimed at any readers who might be Arab or Arab-American.

(yes, I know I will be accused of being humorless. have at it.)

NATHANIEL R said...

yeah, that wasn't so nice. My bad. but there's just nothing in WALL-E to get offended by... so when people get offended i get offended at their offendedness

huh, what. where am i

the truth is that obesity is a real problem in the world right now and Wall-E makes amusing but still pointed satire about the directions society is going in (global destruction, ever increasing waistlines, etcetera...) but it does so with great compassion as well.

and um... as for humorless. People seem really eager to be offended by anything I type this week. It happens. It goes in cycles whether people want to enjoy or find things to seize onto. It's been a weird week.

Like...

I wouldn't recommend that everyone go to Iron Man. I gave it a B. It's #10 and it'll never come anywhere near the real top ten list on January 1st. Presumably they're saving the really good movies for the fall like they always do.

And if In Bruges (which I am seeing tonight) is as good as people say, well then. Iron Man will already be at #11 ;)

NATHANIEL R said...

oh and also... i didn't mean for that to read as snippy as it probably reads. I LOVE EVERYONE :)

I'm pleased you're all hear and if everyone agreed with me all the time I would get REALLY bored.