Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Liev & Naomi @ the Beach

<--- Naomi Watts, 39 and her beau Liev Schreiber, 40, at Bondi Beach with their son Sasha in March, 2008 [img src]

If I ever made it to Australia I'd definitely need to go to Bondi Beach. So many beautiful Aussie celebs seem to have strolled alongside it or swum in it. I love that Liev is sporting Wolverine style sideburns and jacked up musculature here just like Wolvie himself Hugh Jackman (also an Aussie beach regular). The probable reason for the twinner look: He'll be costarring as the villainous Sabretooth to Jackman's hero next year when X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009) opens. Archenemies have often been distorted fun house mirror reflections of superheroes since at least the Bizarro/Superman days in the late 50s, though it was possibly Batman and his rogues gallery that made that shtick stick if you know what I mean.

On a side note: I am terrified that they're calling the movie X-Men Origins which implies that there may well be more than one of them. I think I can get several enthusiastic hallelujahs straight away when I say that the world does not need another Halle Berry superhero movie. How Hollyweird ever thought she was right for a second franchise after the mess she made of Storm in her first, I shan't ever understand ?!?!? But that's a topic for another day. Another day from four years ago. Argh. MOVING ON...

time capsule: In March 2008 The Painted Veil (2006) had been on DVD for 10 months already. And yet you still hadn't rented it! What's wrong with you? "Kitty Fane" is Watts' strongest most Oscar worthy role this side of Mulholland Dr. Liev is also good in this underrated film though his role is smaller than his biceps above.

13 comments:

Hayden said...

Apparently many things are smaller than his biceps, including his 11-month-old.

par3182 said...

haven't you heard, nathaniel? wild kangaroos roam bondi beach...

(seriously, stay away from bondi; it's overdeveloped and overrun by drunken backpackers - bronte, coogee and tamarama are much nicer beaches)

i've never taken much notice of liev before now but that gun show has piqued my interest

Anonymous said...

I've never seen a single star at Bondi. It's still the best beach in Sydney though.

John T said...

Oh, but Nathaniel, I had seen The Painted Veil, bought, and viewed it at least half a dozen times.

J.D. said...

Weirdly enough, I re-watched it in March 2008 to the realization that Watts' Kitty still kicks major ass.

Anonymous said...

Can u believe that The Painted Veil only came out in Australia a couple of months ago??

Anyway, I loved it.

Also, if there are celebrities strolling along Bondi... I should go more often. However, my reaction would most likely be: Freeze, giggle, stare, run.

Slayton said...

THEIR SON'S NAME IS ALEXANDER!!!!

...isn't it?

Anonymous said...

one actress could do storm justice : miss Angela Bassett ! [insert heavy worshipping here]

Anonymous said...

Watts is definitely the most under-rated and snubbed, can you imagine she has never been nominated by the Golden Globe? Someone who has continuously delivered such excellent performances as in Mulholland Drive, 21 Grams, King Kong, The Painted Veil, Funny Games....should deserve much better than how she has been treated so far.

NATHANIEL R said...

whip-smart --yes it is . It's Alexander "Sasha" Schreiber

Anonymous said...

who knew liev was sportin' such a bod! Two scoops of Yum!

Anonymous said...

how was ed norton in painted veil.

Janice said...

I watched the painted Veil twice on my flight last year from CT to WA (I watched it twice because I missed the very beginning the first time - and kept watching because it was that damn good.) I need to see that one again - on my 13" TV rather than a - what, 4" square on a plane?

Diana Rigg was wonderful too.