Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Contest: The X-Files, Dusted Off

I'm sure I've told this story before but the oddest moment I've ever had entering a movie theater was in 1984 when I walked into David Lynch's adaptation of Dune and the usher passed me, my parents and my brother a one page glossary of terms we should all read before the movie began. Assigned reading @ the movies. Say what ?!?

<-- Mulder and Scully upon hearing that I've only ever seen four episodes of The X-Files (1993-2002) in my life

Sometimes I embrace televised entertainment that benefits from glossaries and mnemonic devotion and beg others to play along (Buffy and Battlestar) and other times I'm all exasperated "I can't be bothered to keep track of this!" (Lost and The X-Files). I suppose it's a hypocritical stance... but nobody can follow all of these incredibly complex narratives. The brain would burst. You gotta choose.

So, if you're like me and you don't have nine years of twists, conspiracies and alien oddities memorized you might need this new DVD set to prepare you for the second movie, The X-Files: I Want to Believe which opens July 25th. The DVD set is called The X-Files Revelations and it's eight episodes of the TV series specifically chosen for their relevance to the movie. Kinda like a 376 minutes long "previously on..." I have three copies to give away.

NO MORE ENTRIES BEING ACCEPTED. CONTEST CLOSED

Winners will be announced Friday, July 5th. (Although essentially we're all winners since this means we get to look at Gillian Anderson again. Mmmmm, Gillian. You just don't work enough)

*

9 comments:

J.D. said...

She's so pretty too!

par3182 said...

did the pamphlet help make dune any clearer?

NATHANIEL R said...

you tell me.

i bet you can guess

elgringo said...

You're rad.

Anonymous said...

overlooked for the house of mirth a performance i always though would be in your top 5 of 2000.

NATHANIEL R said...

she's #8 for me that year. Insanely competitive year for lead actresses

Anonymous said...

I don't see how a pamphlet could help making Dune any clearer... even after reading the book a couple of times I catch something new whenever I re-read it!

Fingers crossed on that drawing!

whitney said...

If I didn't own all the DVDs already I would totally be on top of that contest.

Weird. Film blogger that's a huge X-files fan? No one would have guessed.

-Whitney
dearjesus.wordpress.com

Glenn said...

My whole family used to be really into The X-Files, but then it just went off into it's own weird tangents and main characters left and they seemed to stop doing stand alone episodes. I never saw the first movie, either so I doubt I'll be seeing this one.