Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Red Carpet Lineup

I decided that my red carpet series needed a new look. So I've adjusted slightly. I'm guessing I like doing it more than you like seeing it but whatevs. I blog for me. Me! Me! Me! So with my perplexing obsession with celebrity heighth in mind (I'm not a macrophile in my civilian life. I swear) I've coopted The Usual Suspects poster. Partially because I like to showcase actresses who most blogs who feature celebrity photos ignore. So... get it? It's tagline humor: "you've got to look beyond the usual suspects" No? Anyone? I blog for me. Me! Me! Me!

Anyway the blogs that showcase all the red carpet photos are obsessed with people like Phoebe Price, Heidi Montag and Kim Kardashian and honestly I don't even know who those people are. My brain is too filled with real actors to make room for these people, whoever they may be and whatever they may do. I don't need to know.

Here we go. On the carpets this week...


Saffron Burrows (or 'Mrs. Fiona Shaw' as I like to call her) is a tall drink of water and quite a looker. Fiona is a lucky crazy lady. Thespians Ruby Dee & Sissy Spacek I've grouped together. They're both so tiny. First person to guess why I've placed them side by side earns my immediate respect and may choose the banner motif next week. But one question: Is Sissy Spacek training for a roll in Kill Bill Vol. 3? What is that ka-ra-té outfit about? It's better not to ask what Sally Kirkland is "about" but merely to enjoy her flamboyance and her death's grip on her own peculiar celebrity. It's been 21 years since her one and only Oscar nomination (for Anna) and she still works the red carpet circuit like a tireless coke-fueled 21 year old starlet. It's like she's always looking for work and will be noticed. Naturally I love her. Kristin Chenowith is not even 5 foot tall! All that cuteness and those huge multi-octave pipes are packed into but 59 inches. And like I mentioned some time ago live-blogging, I love that she always wears huge bows like she's offering herself up as gift. It's astute self analysis, non?

Meanwhile Reese Witherspoon and Jennifer Connelly are like "This line-up is too C-List for us. We're outta here." But Jennifer, honey, what have you done for us lately?
____ Reese, you're free to go.
*

21 comments:

Billy Held An Oscar said...

I love that you love Sally Kirkland. I affectionately refer to her as 'Special K".

Anonymous said...

Besides being the same height (5'2''), long term breast cancer survivors, women's rights activists and both have won ONE national board review acting award? Just a few guesses, any of them correct?

Anonymous said...

my guesses for the Ruby Dee/Sissy Spacek connection that is

NATHANIEL R said...

sorry Wayne. But thanks for the guesses.

NicksFlickPicks said...

Well, one thing Jennifer has done for us lately is wear black leggings inside those huge, clodding white shoes, and for that reason alone, please allow her to walk off the picture.

This may not be what you're looking for, but I do know that Ruby Dee and Sissy Spacek both filmed scenes for Flora Plum when they were in their teens. I can just tell you now that I want the banner to include other people who were at one point attached to Flora Plum, including Russell Crowe, Burt Lancaster, and Mary Pickford.

NATHANIEL R said...

LOL.

flora plum IS the answer to all trivia questions. Except this one.

nice try, though.

Billy Held An Oscar said...

Here is my Ruby Dee/Sissy Spacek guess :

American Gangster ( in which Ruby Dee made an Oscar nominated cameo ) was nominated for Best Art Direction along with There Will Be Blood in 2008.

The oscar nominated art director of There Will Be Blood is Jack Fisk. Fisk is Spacek's husband.

Anonymous said...

both Ruby and Sissy like to dip their cheetos in bavarian cream.

NATHANIEL R said...

Macoco, you win!

I'm kidding. Oh come on people. The answer is right there in your memory banks.

Anonymous said...

Wait a minute, I know this one:

They both enjoy a good SLAPPING now and then (and the Academy likes them for it).

Anonymous said...

*Giving a slapping, that is, not receiving.

Anonymous said...

sissy spacek is the niece of ossie davis. plus sissy's middle initial is "D"

Anonymous said...

forget jennifer wht the hell has resse done four christmases ugh.

Billy Held An Oscar said...

They are both the same height ?!

NicksFlickPicks said...

I can't quite figure out why Nathaniel is disqualifying my answer, or Macoco's (very original), but in a head-slapping moment of my own, I'm trying to figure out why I didn't even think of what came to Mikadzuki so easily.

NATHANIEL R said...

ok. Mikadzuki. You win.

you get to pick the banner theme once this thanksgiving food week wraps!

e-mail me with your choice @

filmexperience (at) gmail (dot) com

Anonymous said...

I love the red carpet lineups!

Anonymous said...

Connelly has 3 films lined up for 2009.

She's about to open a movie in december.

Creation might be her come-back.

Sally Belle said...

Most recent Flora Plum duo...Evan Rachel Wood and Queen Latifah.

Set to go in January, is now pushed due to lack of male star.

RC said...

i love the reese and jennifer walking away...that's hillarious.

The Pretentious Know it All said...

Every time I think of Sally Kirkland, I think of when she played Mark and David's trashy mother on Roseanne. Roseanne and Sally Kirkland facing off...please tell me I'm not the only one who remembers this...
"People in glass whorehouses shouldn't thrown stones"?
It was the white trash showdown to end all white trash showdown...