Monday, May 04, 2009

Linkt!

Risky Business on the piracy pendulum for Wolverine
Attackerman on Wolverine, the character. Good piece that shares my concerns about origin stories in general
Slate another piece on Wolverine, the character. This one's on how he came to dominate comics
MTV Vulcan salute. Christian Slater has some difficulty


Justin Plus One on those wackadoo MTV Movie nominations. I stopped caring about these forever ago because they always feel to me like a parody of what an aggressive corporate team thinks that teenagers love.
Silly Hats Only Criterion releases for July. Be still my heart
Us Maggie Gyllenhaal & Peter Sarsgaard finally tie the knot.
Fraktastic On Star Trek. "this isn't your..." HA!
i09 have you seen this working Star Trek clock? Pretty amazing. If I were a Trekkie, I would n-e-e-d this

And here's Moby's "Shot in the Back of the Head" as interpreted by David Lynch

Shot In The Back Of The Head from Moby on Vimeo.


I love how David Lynch seems to live 24/7 in REM state. It's always both dream and nightmare. The still inky black and whites reminded me of his comic strip "The Angriest Dog in the World" for a minute. I miss that!
*

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It always bums me out how bad the MTV Awards got. It used to give awards to Pulp Ficiton, Se7en and Scream. Mainstream hits but ones with substance. And they used to honor up and coming filmmakers, it's where I first heard of Hoop Dreams and Bottle Rocket.

Now, not so much.

Wayne B. said...

brianmaru - I agree, some of these nominations stink of corporate sponsorship. whatever... :/

Kurtis O said...

True, the MTV Movie Awards are infantile and meaningless, but you can't tell me you don't watch movies throughout the year and place silent bets on which smooches and scuffles will land in the Best Kiss and Best Fight categories. You don't get fun stuff like that at the Oscars.

Glenn said...

The one good thing to come out of those MTV nominations is further proof positive that the Oscars aren't "out of touch". I mean, Slumdog for Best Movie at the freakin' MTV Awards (the nominates are voted for by people, right? or just the winners?)

Even if they are just committee nominees, they certainly thing teenage girls liked Slumdog enough to put it on there, yet the Academy apparently don't nominate ANYTHING that ordinary people like. And, apparently, they didn't need to court Miley Cyrus/Zac Efron afterall.

Glenn said...

Oh, and hey! At least "The Wrestler" got nominated. I'd LOL if it weren't kind of weird.