Monday, May 11, 2009

Renée is Glamorous?

I'm a little confused about why Renée Zellweger's publicist / management are working her so hard right now. There's no movie out. Is it to try and acclimate the media to the idea of loving her again, what with 3 films arriving this fall and 2 of them (My One and Only, My Own Love Song) supposedly acting showcases and thus... (gasp) Oscar possibilities? She's in the current Glamour magazine which purports to tell us who the 50 most glamorous women are. Zeéeee does not make the list despite being their covergirl. In the interview, she offers up this quote about what she's looking for in a man.
I'm looking for an encyclopedia and a dictionary. A bit of the Boy Scouts Handbook.
Um... Renée is looking for Professor Bertram Potts?!? 'Sugarpuss' O'Shea will not be pleased.



Zeéeee vs. Barbara Stanwyck? Zeéeee may be from Texas but Stanwyck was from Brooklyn, yo, and could pretend she was from the Southwest with the best of them. What a blood bath that would be.

Anyway... the 50 Most Glamorous Women of 2009. All magazine lists crack me up because they're always completely beholden to the "right now" and usually have very little connection to the title of their list. F'rinstance: I love Dame Kate Winslet as much as the next movie fanatic but she doesn't exactly scream "GLAMOUR!" to me. But since she just won the Oscar she has to be considered the most glamourous woman alive, right? Here's the top 12...
  1. Kate Winslet
  2. Anne Hathaway
  3. Michelle Obama
  4. Angelina Jolie
  5. Reese Witherspoon
  6. Jennifer Aniston
  7. Heidi Klum
  8. Scarlett Johansson
  9. Giselle Bündchen
  10. Penélope Cruz
  11. Beyoncé Knowles
  12. Natalie Portman
  13. Charlize Theron
  14. Halle Berry
  15. Cate Blanchett
Kate is a better actress than Penélope but no way is she more glamourous, you know? And Tina Fey and America Ferrera make the list, too. Basically it's a "most popular women" list. Lists have no meaning but they're addictive anyway, I confess. Here I am typing away about another inconsequential one.

Someone help meéeee.
*

27 comments:

Victor S said...

I dont know if its because I saw Nurse Betty on TV last weekend but I'm not hating Renee that much today.

FrenchGirl said...

i never hate Renee ! i love her in Nurse Betty , the first Bridget Jones and her movie with Russel Crowe!
i agree with the idea this list of glamourous women is more the list of popular women!

adelutza said...

How can Carla Bruni be less glamorous then Carrie Underwood beats me. But maybe I don't know what glamour is.

Jim T said...

1) One one hand, it is weird to call teh star of Little Children, The Reader etc glamorous but on the other hand, she totally IS.


2) I'm happy Obama is in and Megan Fox is not! That alone makes the list at least better than garbage.

3) I'm also happy because Aniston is still on people's minds despite not being on a career peak. Is the rivalry with the ex? I think that's over.

Guy Lodge said...

I think on that entire list of 50, there's maybe about ten women I would actually term glamorous.

I mean, Taylor Swift is cute as a button and all, but is she even old enough to know what "glamorous" means?

They could start simply by reversing the order and putting the right Kate (Moss) at the top.

Guy Lodge said...

PS. "Kate is a better actress than Penélope ..."

Are you sure about that, Nat? I like Winslet, but I'm starting to wonder just what Cruz is capable of.

NATHANIEL R said...

Guy. My love for Penélope is brand new (well, three years old. so it's a love toddler) ... so if she keeps wowing we'll see. But for now Kate definitely has proven herself more emphatically and more often.

Howler said...

I love Kate, but I think she actually looked kinda sloppy at the Oscars - I wouldn't give her the title this year, no way.

Love your new nickname for Renee. I guess she's occupying every cover to return to your graces. She's even started opening her eyes!

Catherine said...

You did not just pit Renee Z against Missy in a fight. That's so horribly uneven!

mrripley said...

i think they r trying to drum up publicity for her new horror flick case 39 which was o nthe shelf for 2 yrs now the trailer for which is here
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=13197

Anonymous said...

What a ridiculous list.

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

Heidi Klum and Beyoncé usually top worst dressed lists all the time! Am I missing something or is the magazine referring to "what's inside is what counts" sort of glamour?

Anonymous said...

Even when Zellweger has a bad taste for films. I heard excellent reviews for her performance in "My One and Only" in Berlin (Even she was contender for the big prize), so maybe is possible a new comeback for her. I love her in Burse Betty and the first BRIDGET jONES

Kevin D. said...

Michelle Obama has style like I'm a transvestite from Romania.

reassurance said...

The title of this blog could only be followed with a question mark.

reassurance said...

And, Penélope is on a roll, which despite Ms. Winslet's Oscar win, I cannot say the same for her.

Iggy said...

I'm no Zellweger hater (Bullock, that place is still yours :)), but regarding her looks I think she's the perfect example of someone who tries so hard to look glamorous she inevitably fails more often than not.

Derreck said...

Nat, i'm still somewhat new to the blog, but what is with Renee being tagged as "She who must not be named"? :P

BBats said...

I bet Renee's mgmt is trying to re-establish her a s a big star since she's had a couple of duds recently (New in Town, which I saw for free at the academy and it was sooooo cheesy I liked it).

Jim T said...

Joe, some people just don't need to exploit their win by getting everything and right now. Winslet is more wise than that. No question mark on that!

Liv. said...

Barbara Stanwyck > Renee Zellweger. any day of the week, month, year, decade, and so on.

i like some of those women more than others, but they're all rather glamorous. and popular girls always win everything, anyway.

Red said...

Wheres Keira Knightley? Say what you want about her but that woman oozes class from her pores1

cal roth said...

I just need to see only one good performance from Renne to love her all over again. I hate her now, I'll never forgive her for stealing Aghshdashloo's (sp?) Oscar, but I used to love her.

I'm ready to that big comeback hug.

Rick said...

The only ones on that list I would consider glamorous are Halle, Penelope and Beyonce... the rest are cute or pretty...

Real glamor is a thing of the past... Natalie Wood, Liz Taylor, etc.

NoNo said...

Yes, I agree Keira Knightley should've been on this list. She even got a shout-out for it at the Oscars!

Anonymous said...

Cate Blanchett should have been #1

Wayne B. said...

I love making lists; if they were doing a glamour list I can't believe they didn't put Aishwarya Rai on it! She is GORGEOUS!