Thursday, October 15, 2009

Christopher Plummer's Last Station Stand

Just woke from a dream in which Christopher Plummer had been placed into a medically induced coma merely to "rest up" for his dual Oscar campaign (lead for Parnassus, supporting for The Last Station). Subconscious, you are so very weird.


Whenever I wake from a dream involving the health of a celebrity, I rush immediately to the news feeds to make sure the celebrity is okay, no matter how unbelievable the dream is. Hey, they feel real when your eyes first take in the light. Do you double check when you wake up?

For what it's worth, the top news items were three: the AFI fest's upcoming tribute, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus opened in the UK and the 79 year old thespian will be performing The Tempest at Stratford next year. The latter makes a neat coincidence: the same year we'll see him performing the classic "Prospero" role onstage his Station co-star Helen Mirren will be performing the same role, gender-flipped, for Julie Taymor's film version.

As for the campaign, I imagine that the Doctor Parnassus half will be stillborn. The picture just wouldn't support that major of a nomination unless his career tributes take on an unusually robust life. I was really rooting for the picture and loved the opening scene or three... but it just doesn't cohere or showcase Plummer enough. So those hopes for an Oscar rest on The Last Station. I hope to see it tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers that he's deserving. After 176 film and television roles, some of them quite acclaimed, it's way past time for a first nomination.
*

10 comments:

Michael W. said...

It still is one of the biggest Oscar snubs in recent history that he wasn't nominated for The Insider. Just terrible. And Plummer always brings me to another non-nominated actor. Donald Sutherland. Also terrible!

Univarn said...

I'd love to see Christopher Plummer win an oscar, he's most deserving for his long, and quite amazing, career. Though I don't think he'll ever get it for Parnassus (especially considering the marketing campaign keeps reminding me of Gandalf of LOTR). He's got a long shot for Supporting actor, especially considering there's no real standout (minus Waltz) vying for the spot.

Lily said...

About that rushing to check news feeds, I literally check IMDB first every day to see if Olivia de Havilland is still okay. She just has to live forever.

Unknown said...

For Waltz, I think he's the only absolute lock for a nomination. Ironically, I just can't see him winning (same scenario I see with Daniel Day-Lewis this year)

I think that Plummer and Tucci are gonna duke it out for Supporting Actor. At this point, I'm saying Tucci, but the tides could turn at the snap of a finger. Plus, Supporting (Actor especially) is usually about the veterans, and Plummer is definitely more in that field than Tucci.

Imaginarium probably won't get Plummer too much except for some minor awards here and there and probably a Saturn nomination

Anonymous said...

Tree of life pushed to 2010!

Anonymous said...

see http://livingincinema.com/2009/10/15/no-tree-of-life-for-christmas/

NATHANIEL R said...

tree of life's move covered in previous post

Agent69 said...

I'm embarrassed how little I've seen of his filmography, but I agree that he was brilliant in The Insider and should have been nominated (and won).

Wayne B said...

It's kind of embarassing that he wasn't nominated already for "Ararat" and "The Insider."

ScreenG said...

So - what did you make of Last Station? I really cannot believe that Plummer - and Sutherland! - have never been even nominated. Something wrong with that system. How many actors do you know, who have 'delivered' again and again over so many years? Come on Academy voters: At least go and see these films. Please. (Personally I really enjoyed Last Station. I expected a solid bio pic - but it turned out to be a very funny and very moving film about love and just how damn tricky love is. Not getting any easier as you get older, either. Beautiful music, too, apparently from the composer who also did Russian Ark.)