Thursday, October 08, 2009

In a Very Unusual Usual Way...

...release dates are still in flux.

The latest tumultous shift is, as you may have heard, is Nine the musical which will move from Thanksgiving to Christmas... or thereabouts. This can't be a shock to anyone who knows the Weinsteins. They have never really understood Oscar-seeking release dates in months that don't begin with the letter "D".

As I read the news, the great song "Nine" was suddenly spinning in my head, one particular moment of it "Nine, Guido, Nine | Nine months of the year | to make you appear". If they hadn't cut the title song (I still can't believe they did!) that's a line that Sophia Loren would've sung to Daniel Day-Lewis. Sniffle. Wouldn't it be great if the Oscar calendar was nine months long: ambitious prestige movies delivered all year! But, oops... ZIP! I promised last year that I wouldn't bitch about release dates as much so I'll shut up now. In better news, A Single Man, which is also a December release is not going to be one of those peek-a-boo one week qualifiers, thank god. Instead it will do the traditional expand throughout December release.

It still sucks that the studios think that adults are only interested in movies during the holi-- shut up Nathaniel. Shut up! Shut up!

Peace out. No complaints here. Hooray! Nine for Christmas. A present we can't wait to open.

My Oscar predictions, in case you haven't seen 'em.

13 comments:

David Coley said...

I'm surprised we haven't had a birthday tribute to Sigourney Weaver today.

Andrew K. said...

God this totally pisses my off. That mean's I'll probably have to wait till mid January to get it here. That sucks! How long must this go on? I'm practically salivating waiting for Unusual Way and A Call From the Vatican. Damn you Weinsteins! Damn You.

Unknown said...

I remember when they announced the 10-wide field thing, I predicted it would make studios more willing to release films a little earlier.

I humbly apologize. The late release thing is officially set in stone.

Anonymous said...

Something about Sigourney pahlease

NATHANIEL R said...

no time.

john said...

I wonder if the UK release will also change as it was supposed to be released on Nov 25th here as well??

Cristhian said...

Has anyone seen the cover for Vogue? Marion, Nicole, Penelope and the other one are in the cover. It's is very unflattering (just look at Nic) and i think it's quite obnoxious of Vogue not to put Dame Judi Dench and Sofia Loren in the cover as wll. Why, because they're old? MEAN!

john said...

The cover is truly horrific, though the picture taken by Annie of ALL the women on set is better, excpet Hudson is trying to get rid of everyone else and Fergie looks like a fish out of water. There's an article here as well:
http://www.style.com/vogue/feature/2009_November_Nine/

Little girl with no pantys said...

you should make a GOTHAM AWARDS thread or new message, Nat.

Which movies will be nominated???

Christine said...

I think I heard that Dench and Loren are on the inside flap of the Vogue cover; it's one of those extended covers like Vanity Fair always does. It's still pretty tacky of Vogue. Also it's weird they'd push the release date back when they're getting such a big cover in November.

Argh! It feels like I've been waiting for this movie forever!

rubi-kun said...

I don't get why you still have Monsters v. Aliens in your Best Animated Feature predictions. Fantastic Mr. Fox already has gained some buzz for Best Picture, so I think Best Animated Film should be easy for it to get.

chris na Taraja said...

I'm not usually bothered by your ads, but am I the only one terrified by that preview for the 4th kind? And why do I want to see it?

I'm still trying to forget that I saw THE MOTHMAN PROPHESIES

NATHANIEL R said...

rubi-kun who is giving Fantastic Mr Fox this "best picture buzz"? i know a lot of critics and I haven't talked to anyone who has seen it yet.

I would be SHOCKED if the Academy went for it since they've never really been into Wes Anderson, even when he was using live actors.