Monday, October 05, 2009

This Is Not a Link Round Up

I feel like I haven't perused the internets in ages. Ages and ages. Still couldn't get to it today. I hate my life lately...

Fin de Cinema lists the 48 films shortlisted for the European Film Awards only 6 or so of which line up with the Oscar submissions for foreign language film for 2009. That's partially because the time window is different (Slumdog Millionaire and The Reader are somehow eligible) and also due to different rules. The nifty thing about their lineups -- which can't be replicated at the Oscars -- is the ability to recognize a great year one particular country is having. For instance, this year at the European Film Awards they're considering 4 German films: Everyone Else (pictured left), The White Ribbon (the Cannes winner), Jerichow, and Der Baader Meinhof Complex. The EFAs are sort of like the Oscars if you think of Europe as one country... which more people are probably starting to. Or if you think of the USA as a continent composed of many very different smaller countries ... which more people are probably starting to.

The Critical Condition has been doing this thing called the "best picture expansion project". A lot of blogs were doing similar things -- with Oscar expanding their list, let's pretend they did it long ago -- which is why I never jumped in. But that doesn't mean I don't find them fun to read. These are not 'what if's so much as what 'shoulda been's. This one is on 1989. A year near and dear to my heart on account of La Pfeiffer and her Fabulous Baker Boys.

And I highly suggest you read this chain of posts... Kim Morgan of Sunset Gun is a terrific writer and really loves Roman Polanski's touched woman classic Repulsion which sets off rather angry how-dare-she responses from people including Amanda Marcotte who takes great offense from it. Which sets off this impassioned defense piece by Eric Kuehrsten, whose writing I love and who has actually guest blogged here a couple of times.
This is so much more fun / fascinating / provocative than the typical web hissy fits that have almost zero depth and are usually only interesting in the way they display the thin skin and thick egos of the critics involved.

9 comments:

reassurance said...

Yeah, I couldn't find out when the window of inclusion began and ended for the short-list. And, really, is The Reader more German than American? I think that's a more clear-cut answer than deciding whether The White Ribbon is a German or an Austrian film.

Spartak said...

"Feature films participating in the European Film Awards 2009 must be European* feature-length fiction films intended for normal theatrical release which must have had their first official screening (be it at a festival or at a regular cinema) after 1 July 2008. The EFA Board has the right in exceptional cases to refrain from this rule.

Submission deadline is 15 June 2009"

amir_uk said...

That guy pictured in the Everyone Else still has the yummiest looking bum. Ever.

Nick M. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nick M. said...

I consider The Reader more British than German or American.

As for the rest of the list, I've seen and enjoyed quite a few already (and will be seeing The White Ribbon tomorrow), but I'm most excited to see Everyone Else listed. It's really a brilliant observation on a relationship. It's at once intimate, yet large--and singular, yet universal. Perhaps I have a penchant to enjoy films that focus on the subtle unraveling of a relationship, but Maren Ade delicately layers her film with themes of class, professionalism, and desperate human behavior. It's really a knockout.

anna said...

Yeah, I don't get why The Reader is listed as a German film either. It was co-produced by Germany, but I'm really confused why the United Kingdom isn't listed as one of the countries of origin.

I liked Everyone Else, but I think I was too tired when I was watching it too fully appreciate it. There is one scene though (the one involving a Herbert Grönemeyer song) that I think is one of the best scenes I've seen in a film in years. I just loved it.

Oh, btw, the European Film Awards also have a People's Choice Awards.
You can vote for it here:
http://www.peopleschoiceaward.org/voting/list
(I think you have to be European though)

anna said...

Nick,
I've been wondering, when you saw Everyone Else, was the Grönemeyer song subtitled?

Nick M. said...

I believe so, yes.

anna said...

Ah, good. :) It always bothers me when (foreign language) lyrics that are important to the story aren't subtitled