Saturday, November 20, 2010

Links With Benefits

Journalistic Skepticism Oooh, it's a must read listen. Luke has collected the film scores this year. Which is your favorite and who do you think is winning the Oscar for Best Score?
Cinema Blend smart post about confusingly similar 2011 romantic comedies Friends With Benefits and No Strings Attached. One twin thing that isn't mentioned: Mila Kunis and Natalie Portman, the female leads from the respective movies are sexually entanged together in Black Swan.
Towleroad A bit about Spielberg's Lincoln. Plus, my continued Harry Potter agnosticism . I don't even wanna see this one. Five hours to tell that book? And I've heard that they do spend lots of time moping in that tent. Argh. I don't even dislike the movies really (except the first two) but 9 years is more than enough for one series. Wrap that damn thing up already!
Austin Translation has some fun advice for future Disneyland travellers.
I.Z. Reloaded amazing Star Wars inspired art.
Vulture looks at the possibilities in a post Harry Potter world for Daniel Radcliffe.

Finally, have you read this great New York Times Cher profile piece? I particularly loved this bit about her surreal fame-filled life.
It’s an odd existence, Cher’s. When she recounted a late-night gabfest with two girlfriends in the bedroom of her Malibu manse not long ago, the gabbers in question were Joan Rivers and Kathy Griffin. When she flashed back to a favorite exercise class in Beverly Hills decades ago, the fellow crunchers and squatters were Raquel Welch, Ali MacGraw and, to a more limited and grudging extent, Barbra Streisand, who “would go over, do two little things, and then walk around and talk,” Cher said.

She refers to most of these people by first name or nickname only, figuring you can fill in the blanks. Nicky is Nicolas Cage, Kurty is Kurt Russell, Mich is Michelle Pfeiffer and Nony is Winona Ryder, who starred with Cher in “Mermaids” in 1990 but suffered a career setback after a subsequent arrest for shoplifting.

“It’s such a drag that some crimes are cool and some crimes are uncool,” Cher said.
Ha. You know why that "snap out of it" scene in Moonstruck is so infinitely funny/resonant? Because loving Cher (in ridiculous proportions to how much you probably should love Cher) comes so naturally; you have to be slapped to break her spell!

True story: Last night I was supposed to meet The Boyfriend for an event and I got confused about where we were meeting. I ended up at that big wall-painting of Burlesque I shared last week (which wasn't where I was supposed to be). A minute later he showed up just as I was ringing him.



"How'd you know where I was?" I ask.
"I knew you'd gravitate towards Cher."
*

14 comments:

Peggy Sue said...

The Boyfriend is a keeper ;)

/3rtfu11 said...

That was a great little write-up. I know she wouldn’t or maybe she would – but would you like to see a Cher reality show? Just her daily life – Cher gets bored, Cher eats a grape, Cher prepares for bed – I mean she makes the ordinary extraordinary. I love that she says she has a “very limited range” – that gives me hope as a potential character actor to find my niche playing a variation of myself and not giving a damn what the critics think as long as there are people willing to hire me.

Hayden said...

I just watched a Danish interview where Cher talks about her friendship with Michelle Pfeiffer, and how they play tennis together. Michelle is better.

Scott said...

That compilation of score clips is great. I have no idea what'll win or even be nominated, but so far this year my favorites are those from The Ghost Writer, Inception, and I Am Love.

pomme said...

this year my fav scores are for "the social network" and "the ghostwriter"

relator said...

Cher is so gay-icon! the best!

Volvagia said...

Have to go with The Ghost Writer and The Social Network (though it's probably too ominous. The score branch prefers to swoon. :) ) And in regards to the competing comedies: Waiting for Will Gluck's version if I'm going to see either one. (The F lead is a little better in the first, but the M lead is demonstrably awful, which dashes hopes. And the director of the first hasn't done anything good since Ghostbusters.)

City_Of_Lights said...

Boyfriend story is adorable.

Oh man, I missed seeing The Town and *love* the audio clip. Damn.

patricia said...

I'm almost certain No Strings Attached and Friends with Benefits won't be huge hits in Israel.

The Pretentious Know it All said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Pretentious Know it All said...

Oh Natalie...if Black Swan gets her nominated, I foresee another Rachel Getting Married/Bride Wars scenario. That is, "Yay, Oscar nomination! But, oh shit...it coincides with the release of that other thing I did..."

kacee said...

I'm really more of an independant film buff and I've been following the hype surrounding Friends with Benefits vs. No Strings... Why isn't anyone referencing Friends (With Benefits) that was big on the film festival circuit last year? Seems to me they already had this one in the bag. I'm just sayin'. FWBmovie.com not to be confused with the studio FWB-movie.com

Buy Wow Paladin said...

such a nice blog. I can't wait to see the movie No Strings Attached.=)

Ryan said...

that is SUCH a hot pix of Ashton. i never found him attractive until the haircut.

and omg, he was delicious in SPREAD!