Sunday, November 28, 2010

Welcome to "Burlesque"

Happy Thanksgiving to all. Care for some turkey? Cher, XTina and gay filmmaker Steve Antin shall provide a succulent bird. If you’ve been looking forward to the new musical BURLESQUE, relax. I come not to disparage the movie, but to (mostly) praise it. Consider this a corrective protest. It will prove too easy a target for critics and haters, who often seem to despise girlie or flashy movies before they’ve even seen them, but it’s not truly a turkey. It’s more like a (hot) pink flamingo; the plumage is so colorful, you forget that it looks like it should fall over.



The basic plot of Burlesque is so typical as to be personality free: small town dreamer arrives in big city to make it big. Does. The End. But let’s backtrack. Christina Aguilera, referred to as “Ali” since she’s acting or “Iowa” since she’s just off the bus, chances upon the club “Burlesque” run by Cher. For some reason everyone in the movie keeps calling Cher “Tess" but even Cher knows she’s just playing Cher. Tess even gets an 11th hour power ballad "You Haven't Seen the Last of Me Yet" to remind you that she's Cher....

Read the full review @ Towleroad.

7 comments:

Ruth said...

Good review :) I'm not particularly a fan of Cher or Christina so I think I'll wait and rent it on DVD...but my friend loves Xtina, so I might end up going to the theatre anyway! Either way, I'll be giving it a chance.

Ann McD said...

Speaking of musicals, have you heard anything about GUY AND MADELINE ON A PARK BENCH? It's received great reviews and sounds fascinating.

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/guy-and-madeline-on-a-park-bench

Ryan said...

nice review... although this still gives me major 'guilty pleasure' vibes. however the B- (and A for Cher) just may get me out to see it this holiday weekend.

plus, i think we have a shoo-in (for a nomination at least) in the Film Bitch's 'Diva of the Year' category ;)

jazz said...

I've given myself a Burlesque blackout - no reviews no more clips until it opens here. But i had to read yours. ;)
YAY!
I haven't seen it yet and to be honest i'm not bothered what anyone else has to say. you loved it, my Cher lovers love it. That's all that matters.
Can't wait for it to open here Dec 17.
and happy thanksgiving to you too

Bobby said...

Nathaniel doesn't hate on something Christina related? Has the hell frozen?

Unknown said...

When I sent the link to your review to my best friend, her response after reading was that it was like we had written it ourselves. Dead on, Nate.

NATHANIEL R said...

troy -- aw, thanks. I was weirdly proud of this review (which i never am) and then suddenly worried about it as if it sent wrong messages.

ugh. anxiety.