Saturday, November 13, 2010

Whoops Now!

I haven't seen Tyler Perry's For Colored Girls, but my understanding is that, despite the sprawling cast of divine (and, in one case, Devine) actresses, they don't actually share many scenes together. That's a shame for actressexuals such as Nathaniel and myself, but whenever Janet Jackson and Whoopi Goldberg were in the same room together, do you think Ms Jackson-if-you're-Nasty herself serenaded Whoopi with renditions of her fabulous "Whoops Now!" track from her amazing 1993 album Janet? I like to imagine that she did.


Today is Whoopi's 55th birthday and she somehow managed to take time away from pretending to not be insulted by everything Elizabeth Hasselback says on The View to film For Colored Girls, so why not go celebrate Whoops' birthday by going to the cinema for a rare big screen glimpse of her? That she co-stars alongside the likes of Jackson, Lorette Devine, Thandie Newton, Phylicia Rishad, Kimberley Elise, Kerry Washington, Anika Noni Rose and Macy Gray would be enough to persuade me, even if the reviews are dismissive as some sort of tonally kooky Precious wannabe... and yet... THOSE ACTRESSES!

If you don't want to venture out to the cinema why not revisit The Color Purple, Ghost, Sister Act or Theodo... or any of the other memorable movies she has made over her time. Or, lazier still, just watch these clip from her 1986 comedy vehicle Jumpin' Jack Flash on a repetitive loop (one is a music video featuring Aretha Franklin, Whoopi, Randy Jackson and the Rolling Stones!). They're so entertaining! As is the entire film, actually, a definite guilty pleasure of mine.


Happy birthday Whoopi!

9 comments:

dinasztie said...

Oh, I love Whoopi! In August I met her in London. She was so incerdibly nice. While she was giving autographs to people, I praised her and her performance in The Color Purple. I said how brilliant she was and I told her her performance is in my Top 20. She was actually quite surprised and happy and told me "Thank you baby!". Those words made me so happy. I know nobody cares about this, but I wanted to tell how great and cool she is.

Filme Online Gratis said...

Happy birthday Whoopi! God Bless you

Anonymous said...

Not just an amazing "colored girl" but one of entertainment's greatest treasures. Love you, Whoopi!

JarrodP said...

what's your beef with elisabeth on the view?

OtherRobert said...

What a wonderful actress. Comedy is her strength, but she's been great in some serious dramatic roles. I think Sister Act is my favorite of her films. I've been a Sister Act apologist for years. I get how some people think it's cheesy and unbelievable, but Whoopi (the whole cast, really) is just great in it. I'm sure on some subconscious level, her performance is why I work as a music director. It's so rewarding when everything comes together and the entire experience--from relentless frustration to glorious triumph--is carried throughout her performance without losing sight of the greater story her character's entangled in.

I know some people want more film work from her, but I'm hoping she finds her way onto Broadway again. I'm pretty sure she'll be a replacement for Mother Superior in the Sister Act musical (as she was on the West End), and I'll gladly see it with her in it in spite of the uninspired pop/gospel score.

Anonymous said...

A nice article and thanks for reminding me of Whoopi's Birthday - Happy Bday Whoopi! I think Whoopi the actress is unquestionable, she's funny and smart, she's emotional and dramatic, I'd be willing to go so far as to say she is one of the most versatile and least employed as such actresses of the past thirty years (or so). It's a shame we don't get to see more of her acting. I don't do The View, I think it's mostly a waste of time but I can see the appeal.

@dinasztie - it's so wonderful to have a personal connection with someone you admire and even better when it is such a positive one!

@badmofo - can't argue there.

@otherrobert - I know she receives a lot more credit for sister act than Ghost but in my opinion she was one of the strongest elements of the film, funny, serious - she was like the cornerstone that kept the film together.

best->

Philip said...

I love Whoopi soooo muchhhh!
She's a legend! Happy birthday!!! <3

I love Ghost so much.

I also love how at one point in the 90's, she was the highest paid actress in Hollywood. It's amazing. She's so unconventional, but somehow she jumped all the hurdles and gained such success.

Derreck said...

I LOVE Whoopi.

Seriously. Since The Color Purple and Sister Act, i've been a fan.

I even went to see For Colored Girls. I was kinda disappointed though because she really didn't have alot to do, but i still enjoyed seeing her.

and what a lovely little story, dinasztie!

Happy Birthday, Whoopi!

Rick said...

Oprah's doing the 25th anniversary of The Color Purple reunion today! Check it out!!!