Friday, June 17, 2005

The Ideal Screening (part 1)

The Ideal Screening does not include...
...watching a film from the backseat of a small car at the drive in. Obstructed View!

@ The Drive-In
The first time I went to the drive-in it was to see Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo. I don't know why I remember this since that was also the summer of the original Star Warsand, surely, Star Wars should have taken up all the cells available to my hippocampus at the time. But remember it I do. Well, not the film so much as being at the drive-in. The second time I went to the drive-in was sometime in the 80s and I don't remember what I saw. I do recall that we were listening to Stacey Q's "Two of Hearts" on the way there though. The third time was in the 90s when I saw a double feature of Casper and something else -can't remember what. And now I've gone a fourth time. This time it was the oddly conjoined Madagascarand The Ring Two. I guess the theory is that the kids will fall asleep after the first feature so that they aren't permanently scarred by seeing a mommy trying to kill her only child in the second?

If you like your movies to look like this....


instead of this...


~than I strongly suggest that you attend the drive-in with more than two people and in something other than a convertible. For such was my view of Madasgascar. By the time we got to the second feature I had successfully become something of a contortionist in order to see the full screen. My back did not thank me later. Nor did my cinephilia. Passable entertainments both but nothing worth getting bent out of shape over (ha ha).