Thursday, September 13, 2007

20:07 (Shapely)

screenshots from the 20th minute and 7th second of a movie
I can't guarantee the same results at home (different players/timing) I use a VLC


Hi sister. All alone? My name is Shapely -- might as well get acquainted it’s going to be a long trip gets tiresome later on, especially for someone like you, you look like you got class, yes sir, with a capital K and I’m the guy that knows class when he sees it believe you me. Ask any of the boys they’ll tell you Shapely sure knows how to pick ‘em, yes sir, Shapely is the name and that’s the way I like ‘em. You made no mistake sitting next to me --just between us the kinda mugs you meet on a hop like this aint nothing to write home to the wife about, you gotta be awful careful who you hit it up with is what I always say... you can’t be too particular neither.

What’s the matter sister you aint saying much?
It happened one night (or morning who knows) 104 years ago in Paris, France that the great Claudette Colbert was born. It happened one night 32 years after that that she became the 7th woman to win the Best Actress Oscar for her legendary romantic/comic romp with Clark Gable in It Happened One Night (1934)

10 comments:

Neel Mehta said...

As someone who shares her birthday, I must confess that it's not really star-packed. After Claudette Colbert and Jacqueline Bisset, there's... Tyler Perry? Ben Savage? Fiona Apple?

On the plus side, The Bourne Ultimatum gives David Webb a birthdate of 9/13/70.

John T said...

You're lucky to share with Colbert-the most famous person on mine is Gary Busey.

Oh, and I effervesce when I think about this film. It's bubbly and wonderful and every time I think about it, I wonder why the romantic comedy is dead.

Anonymous said...

Would you please stop this suspense and write your The Brave One review?

- cal roth

NATHANIEL R said...

ugh. these things don't write themselves.

i mean

er...

working on it

Anonymous said...

I wonder whatever became of that costume she wore in "It Happened One Night." Too bad there's no official costume / prop museum. Went to the Debbie Reyonds' "museum" about 10 years ago in Vegas....great costumes, but location was kind of cheesy. Anyhoo - I share my birthday w/ Sissy Spacek.

Anonymous said...

I chose this film as the subject of one of my favorite college essays - a true classic, it's simply astonishing how well it holds up today and is as entertaining now as then - and yields some surprisingly rich rewards (particularly for it's era)when viewed through the lens of a feminist critique.

RedSatinDoll

Deborah said...

I love that movie very, very much.

I share with Audrey Hepburn.

Sam said...

Lovely movie that was justly honored. It's been copied countless times. I'm fascinated that Clark Gable's shirtless scene was such a sensation. By today's ultra-buff standards, audiences would laugh as he skins off the t-shirt, But I think he's sexy as hell.

Speaking of sexy, I share my Birthday with Eric Bana and Sam Elliott. Oh yeah, and a singer named Whitney something-or-other.

J.D. said...

I made a list a while ago for those of us on the Ninth of March, since we're on the subject (for some reason):

B-I-R-T-H-S
Amerigo Vespucci, Mickey Spillane, Yuri Gagarin, Raul Julia, Bobby Fischer, Charles Gibson, Linda Fiorentino, Juliette Binoche (my fave of the day), Emmanuel Lewis (Webster!!!), Kerr Smith, Chingy, Brittany Snow, Bow Wow, and Sam Sheen (daughter of Charlie Sheen and Denise Richards)

D-E-A-T-H-S
Fernando Rey (76, 1994), George Burns (100, 1996), Notorious B.I.G. (24, 1997)

E-V-E-N-T-S
1796: Napoleon Bonaparte marries Josephine de Beauharnais.
1841: The U.S. Supreme Court rules that the Africans of The Amistad were taken into slavery illegally.
1916: Pancho Villa leads 1,500 Mexican raiders in an attack against Columbus, New Mexico, killing 17.
1933: The U.S. Congress begins it's first 100 days of Roosevelt's New Deal.
1945: Bombing of Tokyo.
1954: Legendary "See It Now" episode with Edward R. Murrow's "A Report on Senator Joseph McCarthy" airs.
1959: Barbie dolls are introduced.
1964: The first Ford Mustang rolls off the line.
1987: The U2 album "The Joshua Tree" is released.

And, my birthday, 3/9/93, is a reversible. Cool, isn't it?

lylee said...

On a different (but related) topic, has anyone read David Denby's piece on the evolution of the romantic comedy from the days of screwball to "Knocked Up"? It's gotten some attention online (there's a link to it and some of the talkback today from IMDB). I found it interesting, though I haven't quite digested it enough to know if I agree with its thesis.