Friday, April 24, 2009

Tatumic Temptations

This week my Towleroad article is gauging the amount of heat in the room (or subway) for one Channing Tatum since Fighting opened today. Don't you love that Tatum's extending his pinky in the screengrab? It only makes me love him more. This article also covers the gay bits (there weren't many) from the Nashville festival.

After I wrote the piece I saw one more film that could have figured in. It was called True Adolescents. The movie was about a 30something rocker (Mark Duplass) with more than a little of the Peter Pan syndrome. His aunt (Melissa Leo) convinces him to take her son and her son's friend on a camping trip. The movie starts out all slackerish and obnoxious but as it develops it becomes unexpectedly sensitive, especially in regards to the subject of adolescent sexual confusion. Not a gay film but gayish. It's uneven but it redeemed some of its louder impulses with a subtly tough ending.

6 comments:

Bernardo S said...

well, I know the director of True Adolescents (he teaches Filmmaking at my Summer Arts Camp) and he's quite out of the closet, so thart may explain that.

He is an awesome guy.

FrenchGirl said...

but who is this guy,Tatum? is he a famous actor?

Wayne B. said...

Do people realize just how homoerotic MMA is? A lot of my straight friends are surprised when they find out I watch UFC fights. Don't really care who wins or loses, just like to drink in the sights. :)

NATHANIEL R said...

wayne b -- i don't even know what MMA is. oops. I asked the boyfriend and he says "metropolitan museum of art" and I'm like 'uh, no. it's something to do with homoerotic fighting"

NATHANIEL R said...

bernardo s. -- thanks for sharing. i guess that does explain some of the film's tone.

pomme -- he's clearly a nobody ;)

Wayne B. said...

Nathaniel - MMA is Mixed Martial Arts. should've been more clear. :)