Friday, September 25, 2009

Fame, Bruce vs. Bruce, Tilda...

The theme song sounded like wishful thinking at the time but some dreams do come true. FAME! It really *is* going to live forever. The Fame franchise (what else is it at this point?) began life as a gritty teen drama with music in 1980. It morphed into a family-friendly Emmy nominated television series from 1982-1987 spawning vinyl albums (oh, nostalgia) and tours. Eventually there was an Off Broadway reinterpretation and now, as is de rigeur in Hollywood, a "reboot" with the same performing arts nyc high school setting albeit new characters and teachers (including Broadway/TV great Bebe Neuwirth and "Karen" herself Megan Mulally)

The desperately eager performing teen genre didn't begin with Fame...unless there's a lost classic of the same name starring Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland disintegrating in some basement somewhere...

Read the rest over at Towleroad for a few brief notes on this week's new releases, Bruce Willis vs Bruce Willis' Surrogate, Tilda Swinton in I am Love and more...

2 comments:

Andrew K. said...

On one hand I really think this movie is going to be an epic failure [in terms of quality at least] so I want nothing to do with it...and then on the other hand I know it's going to be an epic fail but this is Karen+Velma+Lydia...

How can I not be enticed? It's like when 30 Rock brings in all those guest stars to make me watch...but then 30 Rock is actually something with quality...and Jane K.

What to do...what to do...>

Univarn said...

I'm following my usual policy with films like Fame. Does my desire to see the beautiful cast outweigh my lack of money and knowledge that it will fail on nearly every level.

Answer: No. I'll wait for it to come on TV.

Though I am going to see Surrogates this weekend (god help me if I'm not a sucker for Bruce Willis + Action).