Friday, September 11, 2009

A Single Man Teases

I realize that if I ran Hollywood, they'd be bankrupt in a year. Oh, the things I'd greenlight! And the way I'd market the beautiful motion pictures I shepherded into being. (sigh) History shows us that moviegoers like to see spoilers and lots of exposition in their trailers but I shudder when a trailer ends and I already know the entire outline, the best three moments and can guess the ending with 90% accuracy. I'd promote nearly every movie like they're promoting A Single Man. Here is the teaser -- thanks to reader Seeking Amy for pointing it out -- which is all intriguing imagery and dropped hints as to the story that awaits you.



The Good News
This is truly beautiful stuff. Julianne Moore looks ravishing and stylish. Colin Firth looks less dumpy than usual and the cinematography by Eduard Grau (a DP I'm not familiar with) looks promising, indeed. It should come as no surprise that the first feature from a reknowned image maker, fashion golden boy Tom Ford, would look good. But this looks great. The delicious cast also includes the superhumanly beautiful Ozymandias Matthew Goode, Pushing Daisies' Lee Pace, Nicholas "About a Boy Man" Hoult, model Jon Kortajarena, Teddy Sears (Dollhouse) and the always welcome Ginnifer Goodwin.


The Bad News
The movie is still for sale which means that you can't count on it showing up in your cinema any time soon. Here's to hoping that something magic occurs at Toronto and this movie can enter the upcoming Oscar fray. Which will only be a scuffle, methinks, given the barren awards landscape that 2009 seems to be turning into.
*

22 comments:

Notas Sobre Creación Cultural e Imaginarios Sociales said...

I love that Ford knows best.
The trailer is very Almodóvar-esque (no plot revelation just mouth watering images).
Whatever happened to trailer making? They used to be so damn good in classic Hollywood with their whole star praisal and almost no plot details.

NicksFlickPicks said...

But I still wish they would call it A Single Man: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire, so that we know not to confuse it with the Coen Bros' movie.

NicksFlickPicks said...

Also note the very admiring review from the fantastic Guy Lodge, over at InContention.

Derreck said...

Lee Pace is in it, so i'm already there.

Plus, Julianne Moore looks potentially unstable. That's always a good thing.

and damn, Nicholas Hoult is barely recognizable. Dorky Marcus no more.

Univarn said...

If I ran all of hollywood my policy would be insanely simple. If you can't make it for <$100m it's not worth making. They spent $285m making the Lord of the Rings trilogy, 3 films all of which grossed $1billion (each under $100m). They spent $275 to make Avatar, $200 to make Transformers 2, and $175 on G.I. Joe. Avatar might end up a great film but will it make $3billion? No.

$100m is the cutoff, if you're not creative enough to do it under that you shouldn't be directing :).

Oh P.S. Single Man looks good, hope it picks up a distributor.

emmanuel ramos barajas said...

Looks very Almodovar-esque!

Klemen said...

Looks amazing!This is how you make a great trailer!

(on an unrelated note, where did you get the James McAvoy picture from the banner?)

Sean said...

I'm intrigued! I hadn't heard of this film prior to reading this post. It looks interesting.

JoFo said...

Looks mouth watering...

Boyd said...

The movie's not only pretty but also really good. This better find a distrib soon!

Guy Lodge said...

Nick: If you stroke my ego any more, it might curl up and fall asleep! Thank you (and Nathaniel) for the links.

It's really a special film -- the more I think about it, the more I like it.

Anonymous said...

This looks to be a v. powerful film. It also looks true to the source book by Isherwood. I think Don Bachardy should be pleased at that. Let's hope it gets a distributor at TIFF....

FrenchGirl said...

intriguing!!and beautifull! i believe i could prefer his movie to his chlothes.

Anonymous said...

This looks great and I loved the trailer.

Moore's other film Chloe was seen by Betsy Sharkey of the La Times, unfortunately she didn't say much about Moore's performance. She liked the film and Amanda's performance.


https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=8256060&postID=2936320975277070687

RC said...

Looks great - I preview like this is certainly intriguing - I have to think wants Venice announces it's winners that Tom Ford's film will suddenly pick up a little more interest.

It looks quality.

armando said...

WHat's with all these people saying Moore is back in a good role, in a good film ?
Did they not watch Savage Grace and Blindness ? She was award-worthy in the former and powerful in the latter.

And I'm not there and Children of Men were released not too long ago and they were good films !

Ivo said...

the trailer looks very promising indeed!
Colin Firth has just won the best actor award, so that will help the movie for the distribution.

Ivo said...

Colin Firth won the best actor award in Venice, I forgot to say

Anonymous said...

Lee Pace is in it?! I'm there.

Also, Colin Firth just won Best Actor at Venice FF which warms my heart to no end. I'm really looking forward to this.

Evan said...

This looks fascinating, but I'm trying not to get too worked up about it just in case it doesn't end up so great.

My first thought was: Do you think that it may have won acclaim in Venice just because Tom Ford is such a big name in fashion and the Italians are into that sort of thing?

Most importantly, do we think that Tom Ford can direct? What made him make this jump?

Chris Na Taraja said...

looks like it could be amazing or unbearable.

Karla said...

Matthew Goode is superhumanly beautiful...I'm very excited about this film! According to the Oscarwatch blog on EW.com, The Weinstein Company just bought it and are looking at a December release.

Check out my film blog sometime!