Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Whip It Kiss It

Drew & Ellen K-I-S-S-I-N-G (from Marie Claire)

Nitflicky calls this the "photo of the day" but I'm more inclined to say "photo of the week" ...month?. For reals. It only makes me love Drew and Ellen more. I'm practically a straight man when it comes to girls kissing. More, please.

That said, the cover of the magazine is the typically boring airbrushed / heavily made up star portraiture. For a split second in this kissing photo (not the cover) I thought Ellen was Keira Knightley. I'll give you a moment to imagine Keira and Drew snogging.


stop it!



I'm not sure what it is exactly but I h-a-t-e seeing Ellen Page done up like any other young actress. I always feel like she wants to be makeup free and wearing pants. Did I read her pants-favoritism in an interview or am I projecting? Not every starlet needs to look the same. If you want to wear pants, wear pants. Think Katharine Hepburn and just go for it. Even on the red carpet. There are worse icons to take notes from. It seems like it's been a long time since we had a young female star who refused the typical red carpet looks.

Break free, Ellen, break free! Next time you're at an awards show, I want slacks! Or even a full suit.

<-- More cuteness from the derby girls

I'm so excited to see Whip It, I have an absurd and possibly fatalistic desire to roller skate to the theater on opening night. I blame this stupid desire on loving Xanadu during my formative years.

Xanadu can be blamed for any number of things.
*

19 comments:

Emma said...

I think I like girls now.

Jim T said...

Drew might not be as good an ctress as her but I bet she's a better kisser!! And I think Keira would be more suitable than Page but this will do. For now :p

Not that I really care but what was the point of their kissing? Director loves her actress?? Good enough for me but why haven't we seen Streep kissing Ephron?

Jim T said...

Sorry I meant "an actress as her great-aunt"

Janice said...

And I'm practically a lesbian when it comes to girls kissing...oh, wait, I AM a lesbian. Never mind.

Cute picture, although I admit at times the "straight celebs flirting with gayness/lesbianism" thing (to get straight men hot? To show your coolness?) can get annoying but I think Drew has always been gay-positive and gay-supportive, so I'll let that pass. I had to chuckle at Drew's comments quoted in the link you provided, Nathaniel. Hello, Ellen is not Margo Martingale or Jennifer Hudson - she's still smaller and slimmer than the average North American woman. (Although I suppose in Hollywood stick-thin is the norm so anything beyond that must seem freakish.)

mrripley said...

drew is getting good buzz for everybody's fine.

Univarn said...

Yikes this brings back flashbacks of the Madonna+Britney+Christina kissing MTV sham for popularity. I would have watched this film regardless of Ellen and Drew kissing, but I can't say it hurts.

DJ said...

Not even that picture can give me any reason to see Whip It! =(

Henry said...

That pic just made my day!

Juno101 said...

I completely agree, I hope ellen doesn't start looking and becoming like every other actress. That's why I was so curious about her when I found out about her, she just seems different. I dont have a problem with these pictures though, I dont think its serious and kind of mocking everyone that calls her a lesbian. its just playful, I hope. I'm still excited to see the movie.

Karen said...

I read the article yesterday while browsing through magazines at Target. I can't wait to see Whip It and Jeniffer's Body. Yay for female directors!

alejandro said...

Look how hip I am, I am a lesbian, now that's fun, it's so risqué and no one has ever used that marketing tool before, you didn't know how sexy Canadian dykes could be, did you ?

Poor Ellen, no one told her faux lesbianism is so 1995

Anonymous said...

Page actually looks kind of uncomfortable in that picture to me. :/

notanotherblog said...

Why is Ellen Page allowed to have sexual feelings? Why? She is still a child in my eyes!

notanotherblog said...

Sorry and P.s., I would readily ditch this movie for something else, but if it's the only thing good coming out of theatres in that week, I'll be in line.

Anonymous said...

really, I think she looks kinda comfortable. I never saw a pic of her kissing a man so I dont really know what her kissing someone would seem like, but I like this.

NATHANIEL R said...

alejandro who said it's "faux" ?

Cluster Funk said...

Just met Drew tonight at the Whip It! premiere in Dallas and, my oh my is she ever tiny! If she's 5'2" 105 lbs. I'd be shocked. (Whip It! was a cute show, by the way.)

Jane said...

Ugh, I am so sick of people screaming 'marketing ploy!!!11!' every time a lady kisses a girl or comes out as bi. Stop forcing your straight viewfinder on Jane Lesbian's face whilst she is attempting to enjoy her pop culture 'mo crumbs, America.

Word on Ellen Page in suits. I'm always hoping she shows up to one of these events in a Diane Keaton-y number.

FrenchGirl said...

the best photo of the year if there was the tongue!