Friday, June 25, 2010

More on Knight and Day

I already shared my 7 word review but here's a few more thoughts...

There is a recurring bit of banter in the new romantic action comedy KNIGHT AND DAY in which Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise size up their chances of survival together and apart. "With me," they say with hands lifted up past their megawatt faces, "without me" hands lowered down warily. It's an apt description of what two waning movie stars may accomplish together that one alone cannot. Both stars may be struggling with bankability at the moment, but they're not struggling for chemistry.

Read the rest @ Towleroad

6 comments:

Wade said...

Why the hell is this called "Knight and Day"? Neither character name has anything to do with the word Knight, right? For the life of me I can't figure it out.

NATHANIEL R said...

Wade. The "Knight" is obvious by the end of the movie. But I can't figure out the "Day" part.

Glenn Dunks said...

Yes! I'm so confused by the "Day" part. Was there a deleted subplot or something?

The movie was... decent. Not as bad as I expected (especially with the deeply unlikable pairing of Cruise and Diaz), and the action scenes are nicely done, but the end goes on too long and it relies of silly "diaz is passing out and when she wakes up they'll be suspiciously out of danger" idea.

NATHANIEL R said...

Glenn -- but i thought that was a cute motif. especially when it gets flipped.

Glenn said...

Hmm. It only reminded me of the infinitely better Mr & Mrs Smith with its ridiculous ending of THEY'RE ABOUT TO DIE LET'S FADE TO BLACK, YES?

Volvagia said...

Except they're not dead. "They're about to die, let's fade to black, yes?" is a tasteful ending, such as in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. The frame of Mr. and Mrs. Smith (at the marriage counsellor) means ending it there is, frankly, sequel baiting.