Monday, June 14, 2010

RCL: Icy Linney, Hottie Mirren, Canadian Ryan

I couldn't sense excitement out there for my weekly random celeb lineup posts but, all the same, I have to commemorate the Tonys one last time since they were practically Golden Globe-esque last night with the TV & Film stars.

<-- Exclusive Unretouched Photo!
Tonyless veteran Laura Linney congratulates newbie ScarJo on her Tony win.
[Apparently Scarlett has never seen Mystic River or The House of Mirth. Ice cold blood puts the rose in those dimpled cheeks. Beware.]

I do want to say though, just as a corrective for what I'm seeing on the web, that The Lovely Laura Linney and Viola Davis don't fit the 'screen stars slumming it inbetween jobs' group situation that Tony voters love but stage aficionados rage against. Viola and Laura are both bonafide stage troupers. They've been doing it for years and if the movie roles ever dried up, it's likely that they'd be perfectly content to hit the boards full time. Linney, by her own admission, prefers it to screens big or small. It's just lucky for us that she can adjust her scale to fit any medium. That's not something just any actor can do. Many have tried but few are as adept at all three as she.

So let's get to dresses...

Best Dressed!

I'm not trying to be cheeky putting the original Wicked stars Kristin Chenoweth & Idina Menzel together in best dressed, I just think they deserve it. Cheno looks great in white and can work a micro dress with the best, even somehow managing non obscene pratfalls in them. Speaking of obscenity: Imagine how much Wicked could charge for tickets if Cheno & Idina were to return however briefly after their post-Wicked fame? Idina, of the less flashy personality, makes up for it with this intricate dress. I hope they took a photo together last night, but I haven't seen it if they did.

Update: They did and here it is (Thanks Emma!)


♪ ♫ It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine
By being my friend... ♪


And let's hear it for two women who have decaying portraits hidden in attics on their estates: Bernadette Peters, 62, who stepped out of some greco-roman sculpture garden complete with curls, and Dame Hotness, 64, in a super flattering dark blue scooped neck gown.

One of the best moments last night was when Mirren shouted out to the people "in the gods". I had somehow never heard this expression before but it's apparently a reference to the balcony (i.e. the cheap seats).

Not So Much


I understand that Jada Pinkett Smith is a relatively fierce woman... but divatude aside, do you really wanna risk comparison to that icy hotness of one Vera Farmiga on Oscar night of all things. It's the same dress in the same color family but chopped in half for a woman who's 7 inches shorter and needs to show leg for the illusion of length. I think Blanchett is auditioning in character as DAZZLER for the next X-Men film. (Yes I made that up. Marvel still has some B list characters left before they get to Alison Blaire.) Sherie Rene Scott seemed to forget that when movie stars are invading your domain you have to pick it up a notch. I mean this is pretty but it's awfully casual when you're celebrating a personal success like Everyday Rapture at an awards show. And finally whenever I look at ScarJo's gown -- which I want desperately to like -- I hear Heidi Klum saying "It looks cheap, no?" Maybe it's the color that's making me think of a glittery dress that some young Vice President of Marketing might wear to her corporate Christmas partay.

You know Cate was all like...

'I have lots of gold but not this kind. Gimme.'

I should note that men were also walking the red carpet last night including 'Canadian Who Lives With Me' and 'That Man That's a Movie Star That I Get To Sleep With Every Night.' It's been nearly 24 hours since the Tonys and I'm still reeling at all the new ways the actresses have found to say "my husband" at awards shows. I only wish we could have heard Helen Mirren's new way of describing Taylor Hackford.

Ricky Martin, who no longer needs any euphemisms, was also present.

Ricky & The Canadian That Lives With Scarlett Johansson

Last night was ... odd.
Helen Mirren, Scarlett Johansson, Cate Blanchett, RYAN REYNOLDS

13 comments:

Volvagia said...

The snarky description: The Director who couldn't bear to reel in my attempt at a southern accent.

Jorge Rodrigues said...

"Somewhere" has a trailer already! - as Kris Tapley pointed out: http://qhq6b.th8.us/

Interesting. Can we bet on a surprise nomination for AT LEAST one of the two leads of the movie? :P

Ema said...

Well I'll be damned, Chenoweth and Menzel actually DID take a photo together. Courtesy of Twitter: http://i50.tinypic.com/2f0c5n5.jpg

I'm surprised it's some random shot and not a posed "See, US Weekly was TOTALLY wrong about us hating each other!" red carpet photo.

Jude said...

I like ScarJo and Cate Blanchett's outfits. But I think best dressed definitely goes to Kristin Chenoweth! She's so cute in those minis. Where do you think Catherine Zeta Jones's dress would place?

Aaron said...

Nat, that picture of Laura Linney and ScarJo had me on the floor laughing.

Last night was very, very strange. With the exception of the "Canadian who lives with me" inclusion, I actually think Scarlett had one of the best speeches of the night. She genuinely seemed very surprised and speechless...

...and...don't kill me, but I just do not understand all the love for Laura Linney. I think she's a completely fine actress, but I find many of her performances WAY too calculated. When she says her lines, it's like I can visualize her script marked up with a million asterisks and underlined sentences and various notes written in the margins. She's just a little too studied for me. Perhaps it's because whenever I think of her, I think of her final scene in Mystic River. Talk about a hot mess.

Clover said...

I love Laura Linney but she sucked in Mystic River.

Derreck said...

Clover: really? she did a good job, even though she was barely in it. Plus, her character ended up showing a very ugly side of herself.

Speaking of Mystic River, what did Clint Eastwood do anyways? the movie was no different from the book whatsoever. Book was great though.

and back on topic, Cate was really going for the Tilda Swinton look, wasn't she?

plus, i thought 'the Canadian who lives with me' was quite funny.

KTibbs617 said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought it was strange. Please, I hope no one blames Sean Hayes. He was okay... well, he was pretty damn good actually. He didn't try to be something he wasn't and for that alone he should be applauded! All different types of celebrities are asked to host these various awards ceremonies and often they go against themselves to do so. I hate that.
I'm just SO sad I missed Valerie Harper, damn it! Allowing a channel change to sports without a Tivo recording back up was just plain irresponsible of me.

Clover said...

Well, I haven't watched River in a while, but I remember hating Linney in it. Maybe it was the accent, or the fact that she was acting opposite Marcia Gay Harden and Tim Robbins, who were great.

And I also thought it was an amazing film, I haven't read the book though.

Back on topic, I gotta say I didn't catch the Tonys, so I'm a little lost. All I've seen from the show was Lea Michele and Matthew Morrison singing live.

Back off topic, could you do a "Yes, No, Maybe So" with the Somewhere trailer?

NATHANIEL R said...

Clover -- we'll discuss on tuesday

Derreck -- i thought the Canadian bit was funny too. but it was also so odd that i can't stop utilizing it for posting fun.

Aaron -- i'm so glad someone noticed/liked. I was giggling while making it [... I MEAN FINDING IT. It's totally undoctored.] Sometimes I feel like there's only #11* people listening

*arbitrary number which fluctuates depending on how many comments exist ;)

NATHANIEL R said...

EMMA -- thanks for the link. i am so excited to see that.

Cluster Funk said...

Jada's dress looked great in person but I failed to make that connection!

Helen Mirren is a class act. Her shout-out scored major points with us folks in the mezzanine.

And your photo of Linney & ScarJo is classic. We know the bitch deserves it! ;-)

Sebastian said...

Cate looked awesome, and so did Jada. Not as convinced with ScarJo's look. It didn't scream WINNER to me, but she worked it though, especially with the poofed hair.